Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Hoosier giving a shot at the wonderful world of bees!  (Read 1886 times)

Offline Doug C

• Brood
New Hoosier giving a shot at the wonderful world of bees!
« on: January 01, 2013, 01:35:38 pm »
I've been reading about beekeeping this winter and am excited about getting started this spring.  I still haven't made up my mind on going with Langs or some kind of Top Bar hive, but I thought it would be good to jump in on this great forum! 

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: New Hoosier giving a shot at the wonderful world of bees!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 02:23:32 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Doug.  There is a lot of threads and videos here you can learn from.  Good luck

Joe

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 03:10:52 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  Top bar hives were repopularized by American Peace Corp folks trying to aid the impoverished in getting a food source and a little income.  You can put TBH's together on the real cheap, but no one seems to build them cheap except maybe Sam Comfort at Anarchy Apriaries and I think all he has got out of the deal are bee tattoo's on his face and a poverty income.  I am fascinated with the idea of a TBH myself but I have helped a friend with his and management time increases astronomically over running Langs.  Bees are a fascinating avocation and there is  nothing like jumping in.  If you are going to make this leap this spring, you need to get serious about your search for bees to stock whatever equipment you decide on. 

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 03:34:59 pm »
Welcome Doug!

Offline Doug C

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 04:55:50 pm »
Yes, I do need to get moving.  I am planning on meeting with a local beekeeper within the next week and order my bees, so that will create the movement to either build or order my hive!  :)

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 04:59:28 pm »
Welcome to the forum Doug.