Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive queenless for at least 3 weeks...  (Read 3090 times)

Offline farmerjohn

• New Bee
    • Farmer John's HoneyBees
Hive queenless for at least 3 weeks...
« on: March 08, 2009, 10:22:51 pm »
This Saturday, Mar 8, 2009, I did a hive inspection.  The hive consists of two deep supers.  I did not find any larva or capped cells in any of the twenty frames of the two deep supers.  I only found pollen and capped and uncapped honey.   

The last hive inspection was 2 weeks ago.  At that time I noticed there were very few capped brood cells, very few larva.  The bees were bringing in pollen.   So it looks like I killed the queen during the last inspection or the previous inspection.

My question is this, is it too late to requeen this hive.  The bees are very busy bringing in pollen and nectar.

Sincerely,

John Cougar

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Hive queenless for at least 3 weeks...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 11:09:32 pm »
I don't know where you are located.  But seeing brood or not this time of year here would not be unusual.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 11:10:59 pm »
as long as you have food and bees,  requeen.  problem may be how fast can you find one?   worst case combine with another hive and let them gather for that hive  until the new queen comes in.   That will improve the mood and keep them thriving a while..

Offline farmerjohn

• New Bee
    • Farmer John's HoneyBees
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 10:09:15 pm »
I don't know where you are located.  But seeing brood or not this time of year here would not be unusual.

I am in southern alabama.  The nuc that I received just over a week ago has brood at various stages.  Other beekeepers in this area confirm that I should be seeing brood of some type.  Thanks for you inputs.  I have ordered a queen and it should be here Wednesday of this week.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 10:53:36 pm »
Hate to hear of someone loosing a Queen so early.  Especially when your just getting started.  Sent you a PM.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 01:02:02 am »
If you have another hive. Put a frame of brood in that hive with eggs and young larva. It should something to hold them up and if needed they can make queen cells.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

anything