Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Quick repair to bellows on smoker  (Read 6293 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Quick repair to bellows on smoker
« on: January 06, 2011, 06:33:51 am »
Hi Everybody, a few small splits have occured on the bellows on my smoker. I think they're vinyl rather than leather and the out surface has seperated from the underlying material. Does anybody have any recommendations for a quick temproary fix? i can't get new ones for a few weeks but i have a few cutouts to do as well as work my hives this weekend. I was thinking of a glue of some sort?

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
Re: Quick repair to bellows on smoker
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 07:37:00 am »
ductape
to bee or not to bee

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 08:34:21 am »
Yep....ductape. Or is that duct tape? I'm not sure.

I'm sure in Australia it's called something like "Stickykooklawidgitsholdmyskivviesup" tape.  :-D

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 09:49:00 am »
I'm sure in Australia it's called something like "Stickykooklawidgitsholdmyskivviesup" tape.  :-D

:-D :-D :-D  I had to laugh out lound.  That was down right funny.  We had an Australian exchange student for a year when I was in High School and he'd make up stuff like that to mess with us "Yanks".

Duct tape is what I thought would be the best for a short term fix.  However, it get pretty stick and nasty when used long term, in heat,  on a flexible joint.  I'd think you'll eventually have to replace the bellows for a good long term fix.  Pardon my geographical ignorance, are the floods affecting your area?
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 09:50:47 am »
I seriously always thought it was duck tape until I was in my 40s 8{.

love,
ziffa

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 10:21:31 am »
Duct tape was originally used to hold together HVAC ducts...Duck tape is what you use to keep them in a row :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 10:57:54 am »

love,
ziffa
Duct tape was originally used to hold together HVAC ducts...Duck tape is what you use to keep them in a row :-D

Scott
Ziffa - you were right back then. It was Duck Tape long before it was used on Ductwork.
Originally made to seal ammo cans for the military it's a 3 part tape, a water resistant outer coating, an adhesive inner coating, and cotton duck cloth as a reinforcing material. It was this middle layer that gave it it's name.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 11:28:15 am »
I like to use 100 mile per hour tape.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 11:30:14 am »
Only 2 things are needed in your tool box theses days;
A roll of duck tape and a can of WD-40 !

If it moves and it's not supposed too Duck Tape it !

If it don't move and it's supposed too, WD-40 it !

The real history of Duct Tape -
http://www.duckbrand.com/Duck%20Tape%20Club/history-of-duck-tape.aspx

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 11:34:01 am »
DuckTape like The Force (Star Wars) - There is a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together. :D
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 11:58:18 am »
/beam  Wow! and here I've been embarrassed for the last few years.

Maybe I'm smarter than I think I am! lol (not likely)

Thanks Vibe! and that's one of  my favorite quotes!

love,
ziffa

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 12:03:06 pm »
Yep....ductape. Or is that duct tape? I'm not sure.

lol!
But they shorten everything...I think that it is just called "sticky"!  As in "hoand me the stickie, mate, oiv got a leak in moi smokie!".
 :-D

At least I think that that's what my tazzy brother in law would say!

I can't think of a glue that would work...unless....unless you were to patch it with another piece of vinyl, I have a quick set rubber pool for my kids ( a real big bruiser too!) and comes with (and I've used plenty) a vinyl patch and some kind of vinyl glue, I think it allows for some stretching.  Something like that might work.

Other than that, I'd recommend the more temporary solution of duck duct ductape.
Rick

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 12:09:11 pm »
Silicone caulk and gauze first aid tape.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline skatesailor

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 08:23:56 pm »

love,
ziffa
I had a friend who sent his wife to buy a duck stamp so that he could hunt ducks. Postal clerk didn't know what it was. She told him they needed to mail a duck. He brought it.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 08:27:05 pm »
Last summer or the summer before, I was at the post office picking up queens and the girl behind the counter did not believe that there were bees in there.   So I freaked her out by pulling out my razor knife and opening the package in front of her.   A face I will never forget.   :-D

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 09:15:14 pm »
We had an Australian exchange student for a year when I was in High School and he'd make up stuff like that to mess with us "Yanks".

Pardon my geographical ignorance, are the floods affecting your area?

Yeah, we aussies like to do that hahah. If you ever visit make sure you watch our for the drop bears! they're nasty little critters...

That's ok - no ignorance at all - the world is a large place - my USA geography is appaling! no, i personally haven't been impacted by the floods. We're in the Souther states - it's the northern states that have been hit hard. We were impacted by the fires in 2007 though

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 10:06:23 pm »
You guys are a crack up!

AllenF - i had a situation recently where the post office thought that the package was meant for them! she opened it and threw it across the room when she saw what it was! thankfully the Queen survived.

What about tyre (or if you're from the USA it would be tire)patches? that might work! i wouldn't expect there to be any volatiles left over from the glue once it has dried that could potentially get burnt in the smoker

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 01:06:55 pm »
What about tyre (or if you're from the USA it would be tire)patches? that might work! i wouldn't expect there to be any volatiles left over from the glue once it has dried that could potentially get burnt in the smoker

It might work but I'd think it would be too stiff to be comfortable long term.

I still use the term "Fairdinkum" and "Sanger" (sorry for my spelling) and a couple others I won't mention that I learned from him.  I did not aquire a taste for Vegemite though I did try it a few times.  By the same token he did not aquire a taste for tequilla (I grew up in central Texas) but he sure tried.  The Vegemite did seem to taste better after tequilla but that's a different story.  ;)
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 05:46:34 pm »
Silicone not the breast pump type :-D Just some reg tube type or caulk will do and some visqueen(Polyethylene film) or heavy Plastic zip lock bag cut a piece a bit larger than what is there now, I'm talking cover the whole area not just the splits/cracks then smear the silicone put the plastic to it.Recover the entire cloth area of your smoker
Let it hang over the wood just trim with razor Blade
Could last for the season,If your Tin is good go rip out some car seat vinyl that stuff is ply-able and would last forever
Wife/GF have a old hand bag(purse)she no longer uses? You could have a nice Prudi covered Bellows
I'm a dumpster diver can ya' tell

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 12:14:51 am »
when ever we used it to fix airplanes we called it "speed Tape"

anything