Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax moth issue!?!  (Read 5563 times)

Offline CJ

• House Bee
Wax moth issue!?!
« on: January 29, 2014, 05:40:08 am »
Hi all,

Quick question from a novice  :?

I had taken an 8 frame super of capped honey off my hives and stored it at our house for the last 3 weeks (was going to extract it but have since decided to use it making more splits).
I opened it up when moving it this afternoon to find it had a wax moth issue! Judging from pictures I have seen, I have gotten off very lightly with almost no damage to the frames and very minimal damage to the combs. I think its Galleria mellonella..?
I pulled all the pupal cocoons and as much of the web off the comb as I could and then put the frames in a freezer (-19c) to kill any remaining eggs and larvae.

My question (and hope) is - can I put these frames back in a hive for the girls to clean up so I can still use them for splits in a week? There are only 2/8 that had large amounts of dark, fermented honey in them, and I guess my concern is that this will make them sick.

Any advice or guidance would be very much appreciated  :) (I will try and get some photos up for you tonight)

Cheers,
CJ

Offline CJ

• House Bee
Re: Wax moth issue!?!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 05:55:02 am »

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 03:29:45 pm by CJ »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 06:21:00 am »
CJ,
Just cut out the damaged area. The bees will fix it.
Your pictures will not load for some reason.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 07:41:23 am »
Bees have to work very hard to remove webs.  I'd remove the webs for them.  I wouldn't worry about the rest and they will clean it up, yes.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeDog

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 08:46:08 am »
Just remove the "infected" area, you can still use the drawn frames. I do that with my frames I cut the parts that has wax moth eggs/larvae, put it back and the bees will repair the frame in no time.
It is highly recommend that split be done with only strong healthy hives that have at least two Brood Chambers with Brood in all stages of development. Frames with capped Brood should be split evenly between the two hives.

Offline CJ

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 04:51:06 am »
Thanks guys, not a total disaster after all (lesson learned though!!)  :)

Bees have to work very hard to remove webs.  I'd remove the webs for them.  I wouldn't worry about the rest and they will clean it up, yes.

Michael, would the frames be OK to go straight in the splits or should I leave them on a strong hive for a while first for the clean up?

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 11:23:12 am »
you'll be fine, that's not that much damage.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 08:31:37 pm »
>Michael, would the frames be OK to go straight in the splits or should I leave them on a strong hive for a while first for the clean up?

Either way is fine.  It's not that bad.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 04:35:37 pm »
That is not that bad of damage since wax worms prefer brood comb to honey comb.

Several days in the freezer, remove all of the webs and cocoons that you see and use where needed.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!