Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Inverted Mason jar feeder technique....  (Read 11939 times)

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
Inverted Mason jar feeder technique....
« on: February 11, 2008, 10:52:46 am »
I'm going to be doing quite a few splits this spring - trying to increase my numbers..

When I do the split I'll feed the new hives a frame of honey and I'll probably give them a few mason jars of syrup from the top cover just to get them started if there's not a good flow going yet.  I've read that some people attach #8 hardware cloth on the underside of the hole in the top cover so bees won't be hanging on to the jar when you refill - good idea.

The question is: Does the thickness of the wire interfere with the bees' ability to reach the syrup with their tongue..?

Most #8 hardware cloth is .027" dia. ( Reference: A dollar bill is .006" thick ). The inverted jar lid would have to be flat against the #8 for this to work - not much room at all for error....

Has anyone used #8 HC with inverted mason jars to feed....?  Thanks...

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Inverted Mason jar feeder technique....
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 11:34:16 am »
I don't use it. I just pull the jar up with one hand and put another in the hole with the other hand. then you just tap the jar on the side to pop off the ladies in front of the hive. Another way is to puff a little smoke in the jar hole when you lift it out and then set the new one in.

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 11:49:31 am »
Basically, that's what I do too.  If would be nice though not have to bother with the bees on the empty jar.  I've been hit more than a couple times changing jars out and I've sacrificed more than a couple bees coming out the hole before I could get the new jar in.  I have had the bees almost pour out the feeder hole before I could get the new one on  - that's a mess. 

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 12:01:53 pm »
i don't use hardware cloth. if they cling to the jar lid when i'm lifting the jar i nudge them off with my finger. if theres a jam up at the hole when i replace the jar i invert it near the hole where there are no bees and then slide it into place pushing the bees out of the way. gently of course.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 12:52:02 pm »
I had inverted jars over regular door screen and the bees could get at it no problem. As far as in hive feeding the temps fluctuate so much here from day/night that it would cause the jars to breath. As they warmed up they would dump syrup all over the bees.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 03:15:27 am »
I had inverted jars over regular door screen and the bees could get at it no problem. As far as in hive feeding the temps fluctuate so much here from day/night that it would cause the jars to breath. As they warmed up they would dump syrup all over the bees.

You must have some wild temp swings between day and night.  Here, in the summer, we have 70's during the day and mid-50's to mid-60's at night.  I've never had a glass mason jar dump syrup from "breathing" due to temp fluctuations.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 05:27:36 am »
About thirty degree differences. 90's during the day and 60's at night. That is the only thing I could figure out why it does what it does.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 06:43:50 am »
i've heard that the laws of physics are different in texas

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 09:06:36 am »
I used it on a few nucs that I had in my basement.  I had no problems,  just use a jar with a flat  top and not a recessed lid.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 09:28:52 am »
i've heard that the laws of physics are different in texas

I have this bathroom shower that every now and then for no apparent reason will suddenly have a bit of water pour out of it. Less than an ounce I'm guessing. This is twelve hours or more since anyone took a shower. No dripping before or after the surge of water. I'll just hear the water suddenly hitting the shower floor, about a second or two, and then nothing. Happens in the mornings when it happens. Not an everyday thing.

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 10:34:37 am »
" I used it on a few nucs that I had in my basement.  I had no problems,  just use a jar with a flat  top and not a recessed lid."

Ok, that's exactly what I needed to know - I had not thought of having to use that type ( flat ) lid. I've never seen those type lids for sale - do they ( flat lids ) come wth the jars in the box..?  Thanks Robo.

Jerrymac: 

've seen that before in houses I've worked on.   What you probably have is a water pressure surge that's pushing past the washer in your fixures just for a second or two.  You might have a faulty pressure valve ( if you have one ) on your side of the meter  - with or without a pressure valve you're having a pressure surge from your valve or the from the water off the road  ( if you have city water ). 

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 10:46:44 am »
Ok, that's exactly what I needed to know - I had not thought of having to use that type ( flat ) lid. I've never seen those type lids for sale - do they ( flat lids ) come wth the jars in the box..?  Thanks Robo.

I think normal canning jars come with 'lid and ring' design closures. I use lids from old 5lb round glass honey jars and various lids from stuff my wife buys in the super market (some tomato sauces etc) that have one piece lids.   It seems like most bee supply stores also include one piece lids with their boardman feeders. 
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 11:37:21 am »
What you probably have is a water pressure surge that's pushing past the washer in your fixures just for a second or two. 

I have my own well water. 1 horse pump I believe. And the max. pressure is 50psi. It isn't surges. Unless the surges are coming from expansion and contraction of the water or pipes.

Now let me mention the windows in the house. Double paned glass in a metal frame. You know, storm windows. From heat and cold variations the glass or metal, (probably the metal) expands/contracts and the window pop pop pops. Sounds just like someone tapping the glass with their knuckle. Also some of the windows if you don't lock them they will very slowly open over the period of a month or so. For awhile I would go around asking who opened the window and didn't close it all the way. It would only be an inch or less. As these windows are not easily raised, I mean you have to put some effort behind it to get them up, then I know it isn't any spring or nothing like that. It is from the motion of the house as the wind blows. No you can't feel it but it is there.

Back to the jar feeders. Here is what you do to test what I am saying. Simply fill the jar half full to represent the bees having been feeding a bit. Warm the jar up to about 95F for a few hours and then place it in a cool place to cool it to 65F for a few hours. Then place it back where it will heat up to 95F and you will see the water drip out of it as it warms up.

Any jar, any lid.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 02:31:21 pm »
jerrymac, you are right.  the dripping does not seem to be an issue in the summer.  the bees clean it up quickly, but i would not use the jar/bucket feeders in my area at this time of the year.  i know a lot of people do not like frame feeders, but i find them to be very useful in the spring.  they only take the space of one outside frame, and they do not drip and slosh.  the downside is that bees do drown in them, and they do contribute to moisture in the hive.  as the days warm, the moisture is less an issue because i can ventilate the hive better. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 04:34:06 pm »
What you probably have is a water pressure surge that's pushing past the washer in your fixures just for a second or two. 

I have my own well water. 1 horse pump I believe. And the max. pressure is 50psi. It isn't surges. Unless the surges are coming from expansion and contraction of the water or pipes.

Now let me mention the windows in the house. Double paned glass in a metal frame. You know, storm windows. From heat and cold variations the glass or metal, (probably the metal) expands/contracts and the window pop pop pops. Sounds just like someone tapping the glass with their knuckle. Also some of the windows if you don't lock them they will very slowly open over the period of a month or so. For awhile I would go around asking who opened the window and didn't close it all the way. It would only be an inch or less. As these windows are not easily raised, I mean you have to put some effort behind it to get them up, then I know it isn't any spring or nothing like that. It is from the motion of the house as the wind blows. No you can't feel it but it is there.

You have allot of excuses about the things happening in your house. I think you know what is really happening. You need to get past your denial and admit it,

you have a ghost.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 04:44:45 pm »
Ah yes. The ever elusive ghosts. Ghosts are suppose to be spirits of dead folks right? Here is how I see it. If there is no live after death then there are no spirits. If there is life after death then the spirit world must be a far better place than here, and any spirit freed from the body, no matter how, would know this. Death is what the trapped spirits are waiting for. So they would not hang around worrying over earthly things.

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 12:18:28 am »
I use old quart mayonaise jars-the lids are flat.  I put the jars on 3/8 inch strips of wood near the hole in the inner cover.  That makes it easier to replace the jars without killing bees and I don't drip sugar water into the hive.  But I'm going to try the idea of hardware cloth-that sounds great.

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 11:28:20 am »
It works even with canning lids.  I use a #7 mesh on the feeder hole for my OB hive and a standard mason jar with a ring lid.  They drain it just fine.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

anything