Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 10 to 8  (Read 3362 times)

Offline pembroke

• House Bee
10 to 8
« on: August 20, 2010, 05:09:38 pm »
I'm going to switch from 10 frame deep to 8 frame med. I hate to dump the bees into 8 frame med with just foundation. I will be using 3 mediums for brood and the shallows for honey. has any one started this at this time of year and how did it go for you . All suggestions will be appreciated. Pembroke

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: 10 to 8
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 05:17:11 pm »
Are they in deeps now?

Offline WVaBees

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 07:11:57 pm »
Would it be possible to transfer comb from the deep frames to the medium frames? I am sure it would be a messy endeavor but can it even be done effectively?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 07:30:50 pm »
It would not be very easy.   Cut and paste.  or more like cut and tie and rubber band.  I would just leave them in the deeps and start out new hives in the mediums.  In a couple of years you would be able to trade the deeps out of the rotation or sell them out right. 

Offline BrentX

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 08:39:35 pm »
YI moved a deep nuc into an 8 frame medium by letting the deeps hang into the box below.  As new foundation is drawn it is inserted between the deeps, where the bees quickly start using it for brood. In another two weeks the deeps will be the outside frames in the hive.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 08:51:43 pm »
So you have one row of deep frames in 2 med. boxes, right?

Offline BrentX

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 09:29:27 pm »
I have 4 deeps in an 8 frame medium. All the other frames are mediums

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 09:43:54 pm »
When they build the comb on the bottom of the deep frames, how do you keep the from attaching the comb to the sides of the boxes?

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 10:35:17 pm »
I started my daughters hives out in 10 frame med boxes and dummy boards on outer frame positions and it turned out to be a good decision. She is able to handle the boxes better and makes frame removal a breeze. The bees usually will build on the bottoms of the frames when their is room under them but have not had problems with them attaching them to the box.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 12:02:25 am »
There are lots of choices.

If you can get some mediums above the deeps that are full of honey, you an wait until spring and they deeps will probably be empty.  If not, they will still be empty, but will have bees on them in the spring.  You can pull the empties and put in mediums which will get comb drawn on the bottoms that you can cut out later if you need to.

You can do a cutout, but this may not be the best time of year for that.  Where you cut each comb out and tie it into the mediums.

If it was me, in the spring, I'd cut a frame or two of brood and tie into a medium and put above an excluder.  After the medium is full of brood and the deep is empty of brood, I'd remove the deep.

You can mix eight and ten frame equipment easily enough.
http://www.bushfarms.com/images/TenFrameToEight.JPG
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline pembroke

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 04:28:09 pm »
Yes. Everything is in Deeps now. I gather that in the early Spring is the time to do some changing. Michael, when moving like you said where is the Queen? if on the bottom how will the top Med be drawn out with brood using and excluder? Did I misunderstand? I had thought about taking deep drawn frames and cutting them down to Med size to get started. Opinions on this. Pembroke

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 12:04:08 am »
If you want to use the excluder the queen is where you want the brood to be, in this case the medium.  If you put two combs of brood in the medium (cut out and tied in the frame or from some other source if you have one) they will build comb for the queen to lay in.  If you have any empty comb you can cut it and tie it into medium as well to give them some drawn comb for her to lay in.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline kbenz

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 09:53:30 am »
could you put a med on top of the deep, wait for her to move up and start laying then put an excluder between the med and deep. wait for the deep to empty out then move from the 10 frame to an 8 frame? that would eliminate cut and tying and added stress on the bees.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 11:28:21 am »
>could you put a med on top of the deep, wait for her to move up and start laying then put an excluder between the med and deep. wait for the deep to empty out then move from the 10 frame to an 8 frame? that would eliminate cut and tying and added stress on the bees.

Of course, and she might move up soon or might move up next year...

-------------------

Offline pembroke

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 03:26:53 pm »
Michael: Let's try a different approach. I have a deep 8 frame box and 8 frame med with foundation. I take out 8 deep frames, bees and brood etc.from 10 frame deep and insert into 8 frame deep, being sure to have queen and then add 8 frame med to top of this for them to draw out and start brood in. I currently have them in 2 deeps10 frame with 1 shallow on top of this. Will this be too much stress now or should wait until later in Fall or in the Spring?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 12:04:13 am »
You can do that if you have an 8 frame deep.  But there is no need to buy an eight frame deep, just put a board on the side and add the medium.  If you get a medium full of honey on top odds are the bees will be at the top in the medium come spring and many of the deeps will be empty.
-------------------

anything