Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Perma Comb and the installed package.  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
Perma Comb and the installed package.
« on: April 06, 2008, 01:18:37 am »
Ok you guys I prepped my perma comb which was a PTA and sprayed it with sugar syrup and honey b healthy. Then When I got home on monday afternoon with my 2 4lb packages of Italians I placed them in there hives.  The first hive was placed on Mann Lake pf 100 as it will be one deep and 2 med supers. I have 20 of mann lakes pf 120s to put in the mediums. On thursday both queens were let out of there cages as it was a cage where it had no place for candy and only room for the queen. That hive has drawn out very little and what they  have drawn out it is full of sugar syrup and honey b healthy and pollen patty and pollen. They are also filling all of those little groves in the pf100 with pollen. But they have also not been on there one week even yet. Monday will be one week. With the queen no place to lay she is just walking all over the place.

Now to the permacomb hive. That hive was placed on monday afternoon and opened on thursday to let the queen out. When checking today I had to remove lots of comb from the top bars of the perma comb, The have 2 meds of perma comb at this time. The top has almost every single permacomb full of sugar syrup and about 3 frames of eggs. She has been busy since thursday eve. I had to go into the hive today as they needed feed. They were also almost out of the pollen patty I had given them. Even thought they are bringing in pollen they are also eating the pollen patty like there is no tomorrow. So much so theyy did not have very much room in that upper medium. So I swapped out the upper med and moved that one to the bottom and moved the bottom to the top it had a little pollen and some syrup but it has plenty of room for them to move up and for the queen to lay. Hopefully they wont be as busy in filling that one up with syrup and pollen and give miss queen room to lay. Or I will be adding that 3rd med super with perma comb on it. I also gave them more sugar syrup today as they almost had it bone dry. I am amized at how fast they have filled one super up. They have not even been hived for one week yet.

Angi

Offline CTbeeman

• New Bee
Re: Perma Comb and the installed package.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 11:34:37 am »
If there is a flow where you are I would stop feeding. It sounds like their using up all the brood space for storage.
If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
Re: Perma Comb and the installed package.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 02:36:14 am »
Flow should be here soon weather has been all over the place. I will be adding the 3rd med here soon and letting them go at it. They have quite a bit of brood and eggs. They are also very active. I am just surprized at just how well they are doing on it. If I had more money I would put them all on it.

Angi