Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small cell from betterbee  (Read 5006 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Small cell from betterbee
« on: February 10, 2008, 04:20:29 pm »
Does anyone have any pros or cons about the small cell foundation from BetterBee. I am ordering my hives, all medium with wood frames, on Monday. Also does anyone know with the foundation and frames will come assembled, Im not good at putting things togehter.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Small cell from betterbee
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 05:08:32 pm »
not sure if better bee can say they are chemical free wax or not. Our fellow member fat beeman makes his own small cell foundation and it is chemical free.  I am guessing you will need to assemble your order from better bee.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 05:30:15 pm »
I am ordering my bees from the Fat Bee man for two reasons. One because he is a member and we should all suport other members and the other is because TWT says he has great bees. I guess I could get the medium kit from BetterBee and order extra frames from somewhere else.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 05:51:20 pm »
All the small cell sold by the major supply places is made by Dadant.  It all comes from the same place.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 08:13:02 pm »
I am ordering my bees from the Fat Bee man for two reasons. One because he is a member and we should all suport other members and the other is because TWT says he has great bees. I guess I could get the medium kit from BetterBee and order extra frames from somewhere else.

one thing shawn, make sure don (fatbeeman) knows you are going with medium's for your equipment so he can make you a medium nuc, I believe about all of his nucs are deep frame nuc's. most nucs sold by anyone are deep frame nuc's. it would be a interesting look on your face if you only have medium hive bodies and get deep frames in your nuc's.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 07:37:03 am »
[...medium hive bodies and get deep frames...]

You know, you can double up on two medium boxes and put the deep frames in the upper most box.
Then just super mediums above.

The bees will have to walk farther up the wall or fly up or down the excess space.

I have screen bottom boards, and I think I had the best mite drop from a hive that I did that.
The bees were constantly falling and bouncing on the screen. 
It probably didn't do much for their orientation or life of their wings.

I don't have anymore like that (so hang up the phone to the ASPCA).

-Jeff
There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 07:53:19 am »

You know, you can double up on two medium boxes and put the deep frames in the upper most box.
Then just super mediums above.

-Jeff

yeah that would be about the only other option he would have and slowly swap them out as it goes.

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 11:56:12 am »
TWT, So I guess what I could do is jusut order the 8 frame starter kit from BetterBee. The kit comes with two deep bodies and two medium supers. If I do that then I dont have to worry about special ordering  something and I can just buy other mediums for later.  I  still  want wooden frames with small celll foundation. I believe Don said all  his are small cell so  I wont have to worry about the bees adapting. I did get an email from DOn yesterdaay saying  he is accepting payment  now for the nucs.  YEA!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 01:57:07 pm »
So  I  just totaled my cost if I was going to do all 8 frame mediums using small cell through BetterBee. $751.00. The started kit with the pierco frames, standard size, is only $255.00 and I get everything I need except for suit. I  didnt realize the cost difference. Any suggestions?

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 05:55:43 pm »
Become a Bird Watcher and save some money.

Just kidding. I hate totalling up equipment costs. I try not to do it.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 06:53:25 pm »
I dont like the kits, just order what you need and you will be fine,

wooodware (BB, top, intercover if you dont use migratory top, frames, medium hive bodies)
foundation
smoker
hive tool
bee suit
feeders (I like top feeders but also use entrances feeders for open feeding away from hives, not for entrance
            feeding) choose what ever you want for feeding, people like different feeders but these are my chooses.

and after that when you get your bee's going you can order other things that you might need or want to try.....

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 07:18:16 pm »
Shawn -

Careful... pierco frames are not small cell.

But they would be fine in medium honey supers.
Just be careful and make sure to use an excluder between the brood nest and honey - at least until you get a full super of capped honey established - then an excluder can be optional. 
You won't want your brood nest moving up when starting out. 

-Jeff
There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 04:05:26 am »
TWT, So I guess what I could do is jusut order the 8 frame starter kit from BetterBee. The kit comes with two deep bodies and two medium supers. If I do that then I dont have to worry about special ordering  something and I can just buy other mediums for later.  I  still  want wooden frames with small celll foundation. I believe Don said all  his are small cell so  I wont have to worry about the bees adapting. I did get an email from DOn yesterdaay saying  he is accepting payment  now for the nucs.  YEA!

Check out item #8241 at www.bushymountainbeefarm.com then order from your supplier of choice.  By Ordering a such a set up plus few extra supers and frames will run about the same as a starter kit and be more useful.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 11:23:28 pm »
>So  I  just totaled my cost if I was going to do all 8 frame mediums using small cell through BetterBee. $751.00. The started kit with the pierco frames, standard size, is only $255.00 and I get everything I need except for suit. I  didnt realize the cost difference. Any suggestions?

It depends on whether you want small cell or not and whether you want to lift 90 pound boxes or not.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnaturalcell.htm#cellsizes
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 11:41:01 pm »
So  I  just totaled my cost if I was going to do all 8 frame mediums using small cell through BetterBee. $751.00. The started kit with the pierco frames, standard size, is only $255.00 and I get everything I need except for suit. I  didnt realize the cost difference. Any suggestions?

Check out the prices at Western Bee www.westernbee.com and buy the economy or budget.  With your being in Colorado the shipping from Montana should be less than from New York.  The economy or budget from Western Bee runs about $5.40 each unassembled.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 02:00:56 pm by Robo »
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 12:52:03 am »
That link to western bee want an authentication log in. Whats up with that?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 10:51:19 am »
>That link to western bee want an authentication log in. Whats up with that?

Somebody messed up.  It used to work fine.
-------------------

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 11:05:11 am »
I also wanted to do mediums, but my first hive i purchased w/ bees was one deep. today, all of my hives are now one deep and a medium for brood as a result. I dont use an excluder, but they haven't gone up into a second medium yet. Just buy one deep if Fatbeman cant provide a medium nuc. One other thing, and this is totally a personal choice, but i dont like the extra space created by numerous mediums and all the extra burr comb. I like the idea of all mediums, but it just doesn't seem to happen in my own yard. Like vanilla vs. chocolate as it were.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 01:12:47 pm »
>That link to western bee want an authentication log in. Whats up with that?

Somebody messed up.  It used to work fine.

If I click on it in Brian's post it wants a log in. If I copy paste it works great.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 02:38:37 pm by Jerrymac »
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

anything