Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Home Owners' Insurance and Bees  (Read 9498 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Home Owners' Insurance and Bees
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 02:56:26 pm »
Geico was going to charge me more because of the chickens. I don't understand this.

You ever seen what happens when a chicken goes nuts? I shudder at the thought of it.  :-D

Wonder if it has anything to do with bird flu
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline jerryc

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 04:41:23 pm »
I know that chickens and bees are two of the "Registered Livestock" that require additional liability coverage. I'm just in the first phase of findoing out about all the legalities and paperwork required so I really have no idea why. It appears that even 'granmas one lone pet chicken' requires site approval/inspection, permits, et al.
Jerry

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2007, 09:42:15 pm »
I've had one insurance company my whole life: State Farm.  I've never had a problem because I have bees, chickens or other livestock.  I father also had State Farm.  I now live in the same house he lived in for over 30 years.  My property is zoned residential/agricultural so, at the very least, all existing livestock falls under a grandfather clause.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2007, 04:52:43 am »
Hey cindi,
I just read back to this post.  They denied us farm status due to not enough of a possibility of making the amount needed.  We don't have any other livestock.
Ill check into that place you mentioned next year when we renew. Thanks. steve

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2007, 11:00:01 am »
Steve, on Monday I am going to look into farm status for you.  We have farm and it gives enormous tax breaks, among other things.  I will look into beekeeping and see if it qualifies.  Not to get your hopes up, but I think that bee farming is a lot like aquaculture, horticulture, (apiculture),milkyculture (oops, just kididng).  Get yourself a couple of "beefies" and raise them each year for tax status.  These all generate income from own's property.  I am on a mission on Monday for ya.  Best of the great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline danno1800

• House Bee
    • http://www.huntingtonquarterly.com/Issue30/renaissance.html
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2007, 11:42:11 am »
We had an agent from American national Insurance come to our bee club to tell us about a homeowners policy they offer which is especially designed to cover hobby beekeepers and small farms. I had him do a comparison of my current homeowners coverage and rates & ended up switching. You can check it out on their website: http://www.anpac.com/products/p_c/ag/default.aspx
Good luck & I hope this help you. -Dan

anything