Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Cutout (external)  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
First Cutout (external)
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:30:37 pm »
It's inside an abandon house but external in nature.  I watched JP's videos and saw how he always seems to leave the hive box at the scene.  My question is'

Does the hive box sit for several days, or just until nightfall when all the bees are in it?
Make Mead!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: First Cutout (external)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 11:05:32 pm »
You can leave it for as long as you wish, but if you haven't captured the queen the bees won't stay for long.

A lot of my removals are remote for me (maybe an hour drive sometimes) and I often don't have the luxury of being able to make another trip to gather the box(s) after dark. In such cases I'll make sure to find the queen, dump as many bees in with the queen (caged) and the removed brood and vacuum the rest to combine later in the bee yard. I find that I normally get all but maybe 100 or so field bees which I then inform the owner may hang around for a few days. Works for me.

The best case scenario is as you see in JP (THE MAN)'s videos :-D

There's lots of ways to handle it...pick what suits you and the job circumstances best.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 12:35:05 am »
Scott got it covered pretty well.

This evening I drove 45 minutes to remove one colony which turned out to be two. The larger of the two was queenless with nothing but drone brood comb.

I will be combining them tomorrow.

Because of the drive and the height where they were I used the bee vac and left close to dark, but as Scott (the hardwood)  :-D mentioned, leaving the hive there for a day or two is the best way to go, if you catch the queen/queens.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 12:57:18 am »
Thanks guys.

One more question.  How long do you leave the queen caged? 
Make Mead!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 03:26:00 am »
Mated queens can be left caged for about three days, more really, but after that time the bees usually will build comb around the catcher, making it hard to open.

Virgins no more than two days, because she has to get mated.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 11:30:12 pm »
The cutout was unsuccessful.  The external hive i found to be abandon.  There are bees in the wall of the old house but I'm not sure how many; maybe enough to survive winter.  I smoked a hole in the wall and got a buzzing sound.  Not as loud as when i smoke a hive though.  Hard to tell for sure.  I'm thinking about what to do for now.  Might be we leave them in the wall for winter and try again next year when their numbers are up, i don't know yet.

Here are some picts...

My theory is that these bees originally came from the wall.  they expanded & made this comb in '09 (comb still very pale in color).  The worst winter in 50 years killed the external bees; there were some 'starved bees'.  But that's all just a guess...

You can see the comb in the top of the window.  Facing East

There are signs of wax moth damage.  No honey, no pollen, no anything

Blurry, but a pile of bees.  Dead from winter i think

I believe the bees are low in the wall.  This comb is very old.

Make Mead!