Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Finding locations for hives  (Read 4460 times)

Finding locations for hives
« on: August 17, 2004, 11:05:41 am »
Any suggestions on finding locations to place hives - I'm considering getting started in beekeeping (strictly as a hobby), but don't know where to place a hive.

I have a small backyard, but there are lots of small children (mine and neighbors) and I'm worried how parents would react, and how long before some child decided to torment the bees, so I've kinda of ruled out my yard.

So any thoughts?

Thanks

Offline Bee Boy

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 11:09:47 am »
I'd try maybe some landscapers and farmers. They will be happy to let you put the hives on their land. In fact they are usually happy to let you be there for the free pollination services.
Bee Boy

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 08:34:37 pm »
Any gardenshop, farm, nature area.    It's best to do what you can to keep people away, use signs, behind a fenced off area.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline FredBorn

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 08:40:03 pm »
If you are talking only 1 or 2 hives why don't you consider your yard. Fence off a small area with 6 foot fence which will cause the bees to be above anyone on the ground or a small out of the way corner(like between garage and fence,  or put them up on a platform out of everyones way.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 10:01:33 am »
I agree with Fredborn, I live on a 50x110ft lot with my three hives bordering my neighbors fence. Of course we don't know the layout of your property or the temperment of your neighborhood kids, but in general, out of site (but in a fairly sunny location at the front of the hive) is idea and requires very little maintenance.

I would notify and educate immediate neighbors, get them involved to any extent they will accept and keep the bees in a location that OTHER PEOPLE won't overly see them ULESS they are actually looking for hives in your yard.

One or two hives isn't a strain on neighborly relations, it actually benefits the neighborhood and that is a point (as the beekeeper) you should be able to sell easily to anyone concerned.

Good luck and keep in touch with the forum. Of course, It is late in the season (at least in MOST climates now) so you have the entire Winter to plan out where you plan to keep bees and more importantly; be active here in the forum and learn all you can about keeping honeybees.

Best of luck,
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline golfpsycho

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 06:28:55 pm »
I was nervous about putting them in my yard also, having battled with 2 of my neighbors over the years.  I have a 6 foot block wall around the place (fort golfpsycho), but still felt I had to hide them.  They are near a garage, and a tree obstructs part of their flight path.  In watching them, for the most part, they go pretty high pretty fast, and I got no complaints.  When I passed out the bottled honey a few weeks ago, all I got was smiles, so I am emboldened to expand a bit, and move them into a shaded, but more visible area in the spring.

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 09:02:07 pm »
I think Golfpsycho has a good method for working with the neighbors. Pass around a little bit of the liquid gold when you get it. It normally doesn't take much to get a good response.

Since I have twenty acres (the compound) I really don't have to worry about my neighbors concerns with my bees. In fact, up to this year I had my colonies hidden in a small valley where no one could see them unless they were trespassing. Now that everyone around know about, and accept, my hives (thanks to a little sharing of the liquid gold) this year I moved my hives close to the house where I can keep a close eye on them.

anything