Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: MOCKING BIRD  (Read 3492 times)

Offline COLVIN

• House Bee
MOCKING BIRD
« on: March 20, 2007, 12:51:24 pm »
I have notice a Mocking Bird hanging out around and on my hives a lot lately. Do they eat Bees like the King Bird is said to do? He will be on top of a hive ans some times just walking around on the ground around the hive. Do you think he may be a problem?

Colvin
FROM BEE TO THEE, BEE BUZZING ON

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: MOCKING BIRD
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 02:05:42 pm »
My 2 cents worth is that it should not be a big problem, but who wants to loose bees. I have a mocking bird and a yellow somthing bird (finch?) at some of my hives and have not encountered a problem.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 02:26:43 pm »
if he picks up a bee or two, i think it's not "so" stressfull for the hive. woodpeckers are a real pest! they stroke the hives during winter and that's the problem.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 02:36:09 pm »
I have a phoebe that sits on the fence post by my hives all day.  I've never seen her take any bee out of the air or off the hive.   She does take ones off the ground, which are mostly dying or drones.  So unless you see it eating off the landing board or catching them in the air, I wouldn't sweat it.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 03:59:50 pm »
The worst part about mockingbirds is when they sit there on the fence with that silly smirk and say mean things like how ugly I am and what a poor job I'm doing with my bees, and then all start laughing at me.

:roll:
Rick

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 05:59:51 pm »
The worst part about mockingbirds is when they sit there on the fence with that silly smirk and say mean things like how ugly I am and what a poor job I'm doing with my bees, and then all start laughing at me.

:roll:

:lol:

The mockingbird called and said you dress funny also.  ;)

My problem is I have a pilliated woodpecker who has a nest near my hives. This is one massive woodpecker. I have three hives. So he isn't to bad. The starlings and the buffo toads are worse.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 06:13:22 pm »
a little wren sits out on my deck and eats the dead bees that are carried out of the hive.  She has a feast every day and hangs out under the hives sometimes as well.  I've also seen a downy woodpecker actually get off of the tree to eat dead bees from my deck.

Linda T

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 12:52:11 am »
How many bees will a bird eat? It is said that birds eat eight times their weight everyday. So weigh the bird and figure what the bees weigh. There you have it. Empty hives  :shock:
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 12:39:17 am »
"The only guarntee of survival is Abundance"have alot of bees
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 01:10:45 am »
   I've seen robins, mockingbirds, blackbirds and a few swallows around and in front of mine.  The only danger I've seen, has been when my Chessy pup was out there last week during the afternoon orientation flights of all three hives and she tried to eat one.  Needless to say she still gets a kick out of being out there during orientation flights but appitizers are out of the question.  The cat learned long ago to just sleep on top of the hives.

I have seen birds eat what is on the ground in front of the hives including freshly killed wasps hornets and bumblebees.

David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)