Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Off topic- Where to buy chickens in MA  (Read 6872 times)

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
Off topic- Where to buy chickens in MA
« on: January 04, 2009, 12:29:12 pm »
I'm looking to buy some chickens in western MA. Does anyone have any suggestions as to any breeders around the area? I would really like to find some rhode island reds if it makes a difference. Thanks

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: Off topic- Where to buy chickens in MA
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 12:31:27 pm »
There are people selling some chickens in your area right now, I saw it advertised a week ago on the backyard chickens forum.
Its a forum all about chickens, you would have to join though in order to access all the listings in the buy sell and trade section.

Offline BRIANCJ

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 11:03:22 pm »
try EggBid.com,good poultry related site.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 11:59:18 pm »
I've gotten chickens in the past from the local farm co-op (feed store) but haven't been happy with that.
This year I ordered 15 Red Bourbon Turkeys, 8 Joe Pye Game fowl, and 18 Black Jersey Giant chickens (2 roosters) from McMurray hatcheries.  I've had pretty good luck getting birds from them in the past.  They usually send an extra of each breed and then throw in a fancy chicken to boot.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 04:35:36 pm »
Unless you can find someone close to your place & are into production instead of showing you may be better off like Brian said to get from a hatchery.  They are less stressed cause they only have to go from where they hatched to your place.  Most at the feedstores come in the mail to the feedstore & stay there for however long having different people gawking at & handling em (like unsupervised kids...) Then you take em home.  I have had good luck with Estes.  The only thing about getting em straight from the hatchery is the minimum # needed to ship safely. See if anyone you know also wants some fowl & split the batch & cost of shipping.  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 06:56:35 pm »
This weekend is the Northeast Poultry Congress at the Big E Fairgrounds in Springfield, MA.  Tomorrow (Sunday) is the last day.  You can hook up with breeders in Western MA out there.  I highly recommend buying from local breeders rather than hatcheries, the birds are a better quality (I wish I'd known that before I bought mine last year at the local feed and grain - they are hatchery birds and lay lovely eggs, but once you've seen the real thing the hatchery birds pale in comparison!).  The show is free, parking is free, and the birds are awesome!

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 07:25:34 pm »
I'll say! I went with Ann today and came home with 2 gorgeous blue laced red wyandottes.
I highly recommend the show and the quality of birds being offered for sale.
If you go just be sure to wear gloves and dress warm, its a wee bit chilly in that complex.

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 03:19:33 pm »
McMurray hatchery in IA   ask for a catalog and order to your hearts content......   Been buying from them for over 20 years and never a problem.