Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarm/bait trap frames?  (Read 4944 times)

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
swarm/bait trap frames?
« on: April 14, 2012, 11:09:05 pm »
what is everybody using in there swarm/bait traps for frames? I don't have enough deep frames to fill all my traps. I was gonna cut wood strips and put in ala' foundationless style, but wasn't sure how they allowed for bee space to get on top of the frames.
Just a beek trying to get ready for winter.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: swarm/bait trap frames?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 11:19:24 pm »
I use one old frame of comb and 4 foundationless frames with starter strips.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 11:38:40 pm »
unfortunetly my only frames of drawn comb are in my one and only hive. I have twenty frames of foundation waiting for my nuc to come in. I built one box and put three of those frames in with two frames without foundation. So I guess I need to order in a bunch of frames huh?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 08:28:35 am »
You don't need to put frames in, but for the couple of bucks, you sure will appreciate it if you catch a swarm.   With frames, you can simply move them to a hive.  Without frames, you end up cutting the comb out and trying to secure it in empty frames.  It is a pain in the butt, and it sets the bees back as they have to reorganize and fix things up.   I use just starter strips because swarms come prepared to build comb and empty frames don't get damaged from year to year if you don't catch a swarm.

Rob...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 08:59:37 am »
Thanks Rob. Yeah I didn't want to have to do a cut out on my swarm traps. Just move them into new deeps and go. I guess one of the suppliers will be getting some of my money.

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 11:53:02 am »
I've tried WTKs foundationless frames and, so far, am happy with them.  They go together very nicely.  No splitting.  Have holes predrilled for reinforcement wire or fishing line.  Ultimately, they save you a bunch of time, avoiding trying to get starter strips to stay put in the top of a frame.  I coat mine with wax from my own hives but that step is not necessary.

All of my traps have foundationless frames in them.  I think it's just begging for more work to not use frames.  I don't use any old comb here because wax moths will tear it up, even this early in the year.  I only use LGO for attractant and have plenty of success with it.

Offline mat299

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 12:00:42 pm »
What about using new plastic foundation in the traps?  Will it hold up if you happen to not catch a swarm?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 12:20:45 pm »
What about using new plastic foundation in the traps?  Will it hold up if you happen to not catch a swarm?

Sure, but it is not a lure like drawn comb, and it adds to the cost.

Another thing to consider,  would it make the trap less attractive to the bees.   Is an open space more pleasing than a space divided up with plastic sheets?  I have no idea, just throwing it out there.

Offline mat299

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 12:32:39 pm »
I have no idea either.  Maybe one of the experts can weigh in on it.

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 12:25:56 am »
ok here's my plan. One frame foundation, four frames no foundation, just a bit of bees wax accross the top. I took wedge bars and turned them on edge. A bit of LGO and my fingers crossed.

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 12:29:45 am »
I think that will work.  Good luck.  Happy trapping.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 08:34:23 am »
I intentionally don't put a full set of frames in.

I operate all mediums, but a medium nuc and a medium hive body arn't the best sizes that a swarm is looking for. I find I have better success with a deep nuc.

So, I put one drawn medium frame in there, and leave the rest empty. I've used foundationless frames for years, and when you put four or so next to each other, the bees don't always follow the guides. If I'm going to have to cut out the comb that they build, I'd rather cut it off the lid of the nuc than have to unravel the puzzle that is cris-crossed comb over four frames. Plus, only one frame makes the interior look bigger (at least, I guess).

A few drops of LGO near the entrance (inside, to soak into the wood) and a Swarm Lure from Russell's has gotten me the two swarms I have this year . . .

anything