Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Northern Virginia!  (Read 6911 times)

Offline vabeekeeper

• New Bee
Hello from Northern Virginia!
« on: January 21, 2005, 07:10:49 am »
Hi!  This looks like a great place to learn and that is my purpose for joining.  I live in Centreville, VA on 7 acres.  I started beekeeping two years ago with 4 hives and this season will be my third yr and I will have 20 hives.  I am an executive with a global IT consulting corporation and find beekeeping an amazing diversion from my corporate responsibilities.  I look forward to interacting within this forum.  

Jay

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 07:33:19 am »
Welcome, I hope you enjoy it here and it's always great to see someone else from VA. Check out the membership map here
http://www.beemaster.com/beebbs/viewtopic.php?t=1339
VA is getting some good representation. I'm sure you're not in there yet so that would make number 7!
We have a lot of combined experience here, so feel free to ask any questions, and I hope you will be sharing your knowledge with us.

Welcome.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 07:43:01 am »
Welcome to the forum, vabeekeeper!

Quote from: BigRog

VA is getting some good representation. I'm sure you're not in there yet so that would make number 7!

Sorry Rog, but he's number 6. I was quicker than you this time! :-)  Added him within 5 minutes after his post  8)

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Re: Hello from Northern Virginia!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 08:59:35 am »
Quote from: vabeekeeper
I am an executive with a global IT consulting corporation and find beekeeping an amazing diversion from my corporate responsibilities.  

Welcome! I'm a systems administrator for a college, and I keep bees for pretty much the same reason. High stress job. Low stress hobby.  It also gets me away from the keyboard and out into the fresh air.
Lesli

Offline Jay

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 12:23:29 pm »
Welcome, Jay!  It's always good to see another Jay, no matter where he's from! :lol:  

This is a very friendly and informative community of nuts here, I think you'll find it fun and interesting to say the least!!  Again welcome. :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
I'm originally from VA too
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 06:53:38 pm »
Hi Jay,

I'm originally from Nokesville, just outside of Manassas. Glad to see you on board!

Offline vabeekeeper

• New Bee
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 08:47:10 pm »
Appreciate the warm welcome and looking forward to learning something each time I come to this forum.  I am currently on travel in Manila Philippines.  I am visiting a local apriary today in the mountain region North of Manila.  I have linked up with a local beekeeping association president who will be my tour guide for he day.  I am quite excited!@

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 09:11:40 pm »
Look at our membership list
You could possibly meet some members there!
And I thought I went far, 250 miles, to meet John!
PM them and I bet they'd be Happy to see you.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline vabeekeeper

• New Bee
Philippines Honey - Calamansi and Palawan Forest
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 08:16:25 pm »
BigRog:  Emailed both of our members who live in Philippines but have not gotten a reply.  The Northern village apriary that I planned to visit yesterday had been destoryed by mug slides during the heavy rains.  So, I had to settle for "roadside" stand honey.  Interestingly enough the repurpose "San Migal" square bottles as honey containers.  I have also found local "Calamansi" honey.  This is a critus fruit like a combination between an orange and a lime.  Very interesting taste to both the fruit and the honey!  I also found some Palawan Forest honey form Mandaluyong City.  I am loving my travels but still looking for the apriaries of the Philippines!

Offline fiveson

• New Bee
I am N Va
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2005, 01:15:16 am »
I have just written Jay offline but look forward to having someone else nearby!

Welcome!

Rob
The Pleasures Of Love Lasts but a fleeting
But the pledges of life
Outlust a lifetime

(J Joyce)

anything