Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another from Northern VA!  (Read 5629 times)

Offline Tobikiri

• New Bee
Another from Northern VA!
« on: January 31, 2005, 07:05:22 pm »
Greetings everyone!

I'm extremely new to beekeeping. I can't even call myself a beekeeper yet, but I'm trying to learn all I can before I take the plunge. Here's my story:

Last year, my husband took a blacksmithing class at a place in North Carolina called John C. Campbell Folk School. When the next year's catalog arrived, I saw that they offered a beekeeping class. How interesting!

So I promised myself I'd apply to take the class (held at the end of April, this year) and bought a book to read up in the meantime. I also requested a catalog from Mann Lake just to get an idea of costs and necessary equipment. The book I had didn't contain many pictures, so the catalog was a good way to see what the book was describing.

I put my interest in beekeeping put on hold for a while until it was time for the class. Afterall, I wouldn't know for sure if this was even something I wanted to attempt until I learned more from the class. However, my husband, bless his heart, is so thoughtful when it comes to birthday and Christmas gifts. So yesterday, I received a wonderful birthday present of a Deluxe Starter Kit from Mann Lake.

It's got everything for a beginner: bee suit with helmet, veil, and gloves; hive tool, smoker, 2 hive bodies and 2 supers, feeder, queen excluder, hive stand, bottom board, etc. etc. etc.

So, here I am, renewing my research since it seems this new hobby is more of a reality now. I still don't plan on getting bees until after I've taken the class. I'm not going to let the brand new hive rush me into something I'm not ready for. But hopefully, this forum will be helpful for finding a mentor in my area, and providing tips, tricks, insights, and advice I will need to be successful.

I look forward to lots of interaction!
-Susan

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 07:33:11 pm »
Sorry to have to tell you that you are officially hooked!
Glad you made it here, we all enjoy our addiction.
This place is friendly and there is a lot of experience to draw on.
Welcome.

Might I suggest Beekeeping for Dummies as a good reference.
Pictures were done by Beemaster and Howard who wrote it is a member here as well.
And it is a very good well organised book.

VA is getting big here!
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Tobikiri

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 09:34:22 pm »
Look at that! Great advice already. Can't beat that.
Thanks a million! I'll pick up a copy next time I'm out.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 10:58:09 pm »
Hi Susan:

Great to hear the gift that hubby gave you - it beats the shop-vacuum I gave my wife 10 years ago, which she calls "The gift that keeps on sucking"  :oops:

I'm sure you will get a wealth of experience through the members and their posts - tons of stuff in the search feature for fast reference, but someone is always around to aid with your unique questions.

Don't forget the chat room too - at www.beemaster.com/chat.html - having live interaction is a great way to interact, but always feel free to post, ask questions, let us follow along as you start up your hobby and please feel free to just hang around for general conversation.

Thanks for registering and welcome to the forums - I know you will benefit from hundreds of combined years of experience from beekeepers around the globe.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 11:31:28 pm »
Like BigRog says...... once you start looking, you'll get addicted. :) It's happened to all of us.

My advice - (something you'll find out on your own anyway) - you might as well start saving those pennies for a package of bees. If you actually FORCE yourself to wait till after taking this class to order the bees, you might not find any. They only ship bees in the spring, and most people order them during the winter to ensure they GET some bees before they run out.
Nothing wrong with getting bees and THEN taking the class.

Thing about this advice..... it's probably pointless. I'd imagine you'll be hooked within weeks, and ready to start your new hobby at any cost. :)

Welcome to the forum. There's tons of things to read about on here, and new posts every day.

Beth

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 11:38:13 pm »
I got hooked at the word bees, lol, you should love that class and please tell us all how it go's, bye and good luck
Ryan Horn

anything