Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Thank you  (Read 1515 times)

Offline bhough

• New Bee
Thank you
« on: May 30, 2008, 09:18:35 pm »
I have had a recent success story and thank some of you guys for your advice and postings. 

I bought a nuc last year that overwintered well and I split it 3 weeks ago.  Basically, I just took half of the frames with brood with the queen and moved them to a nuc leaving the remainder without a queen, but with lots of day old eggs. (live in pittsburgh, pa) Just checked the hive and both queens are laying, and I was able to find both queens. Great news.  Then last weekend, got a call redirected from a pest control company about a swarm near a man's garage.  Scooped them up into a nuc and today, they have made wax on the foundation and have begun to lay eggs. Went from 1 hive last summer to three this spring!  Learned alot from the books, but also from reading your posts and thoughtful replies.  Thanks again!

b

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Thank you
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 09:26:06 pm »
That is just wonderful!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline wayseer

• House Bee
    • Beaver Rock
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 10:03:09 pm »
Great stuff.  Perhaps you noted that a swarm will produce comb very fast - that's because their wax secretion glads kicked in before swarming reading for the construction of a new home.  Ideal time to use foundation in the swarm colony.
www.beaverrox.blogspot.com/

Life is a river somewhere

Offline Flygirl

• House Bee
  • ~ It's never to late to have a happy childhood ~
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 02:18:46 am »
This was very inspiring to me as I'm a new bee keeper!  You're a fast learner & must have done a lot of things right.  Thanks for sharing.  FG
~ It's never too late to have a happy childhood ~

anything