Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Getting dead bees out of the comb  (Read 2925 times)

Offline alblbr

• New Bee
Getting dead bees out of the comb
« on: March 15, 2007, 08:29:19 am »
Today I was picking up the deadouts and cleaning up the hive bodies, scraping off burr comb etc. How do you get the dead bees out of the combs. The bees starved this winter and are head first in the cells. Would soaking the frames in water float out the dead bees? Picking tham out one by one could take a long time and they aren't that easy to pick out.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Getting dead bees out of the comb
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 08:48:04 am »
If you can put the frame into another hive go for it. The bees will clean out the comb without damaging the cells.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 08:56:05 am »
Brendhan is right,  let the new bees pull them out of the cells.   It is much easier for the bees to pull out the dead bees than to repair the damage to the comb you might do removing them yourself.

Just brush of the ones not in cells and give to the new package/nuc.  All will be fine.  Cleaning up dead bees from the winter is a normal operation for a hive.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 07:14:18 pm »
DITTO!

Use your bee brush to remove as many bees as you can and let the bees do the rest.  They can do it far better than we can.  You want to encourage hygenic behavior not suppress it.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 11:10:42 pm »
When I'm inspecting the frames of a colony that appears to have died from starvation, I just hold the frame horizontally and give a couple raps from below with my hive tool on the end bar/top bar joint.  Most of the bees fall off, including the ones in the cells.  I don't go crazy beating on the things, but a couple quick raps gets 95% of them off.  The rest I leave for the bees to finish.

anything