Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gold Rush  (Read 7258 times)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Gold Rush
« on: December 10, 2011, 04:54:04 pm »
Are the misfits from Oregon EVER going to find any real gold on Discovery Channel’s Gold Rush TV show?  If I don’t start seeing some real gold next week, I’m going to quit watching the dumb show.  So far it’s just been watching equipment breakdowns and made for TV drama every week. 

Anybody else watching this toad?

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
Re: Gold Rush
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 05:04:39 pm »
Yes, I watch it. I'm with you! All we ever see is breakdowns and other problems. One more week and we better see Gold. Larry

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 05:39:47 pm »
:-)  i'd think they'd want to follow folks in CA or AZ. i haven't watched the show but i hear it's kind of a dud.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 08:42:02 pm »
I was thinking same thing, kinda getting tired of it.  But I do think they goter figured out and will get some next week, there first run on new equipment seemed good there toward the end of show.  I think I want to start an excavating business lol, the big machines kinda excites me a little
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 10:52:59 pm »
It makes for a great show to make you wait.   If they pull out tons of gold the first week, what are they going to show the next week.   I also think a lot of the show is planned out for TV before they do it there.    They are making more off the TV than the gold.   

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 11:27:47 pm »
ya you might be right,  looked like nice new trucks for broke folks
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 04:38:26 am »
I have caught a few episodes.  Looked like they were going to start bringing it in before until they lost their claim.  I keep seeing the advertisements and wonder where the heck they keep coming up with the money to keep the operation going.  For their sake and the show I hope they start coming up with something significant.

The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 09:29:12 am »
You would think that they are getting $$ from some where. Im not sure what they did prior to the TV series, but I cant figure out what they are doing for their bill money. I noticed that too (Nice, new trucks with $4k worth of tires and lift kits.) The last 30 seconds of the current episode showed a teaser of gold-then it went off.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 06:29:16 pm »
My 5 year loves that show.   He has watched last years shows over and over on the computer and the tv.  Tractors, dirt, and maybe a bear.   What more could a 5 year want?

I think that show is also show that you just do not go up there and strike it rich.   

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 01:27:47 am »
Headline today:  Gold falls off a cliff as margin calls cream speculators.

LOL, people never learn.  Doesn’t anybody remember the Hunt brothers?  Silver Thursday?  

http://news.yahoo.com/gold-falls-off-cliff-margin-calls-cream-speculators-211556157.html

I hope our gold miners start finding some gold before the prices drops back to $950 an ounce!

They burn $1000 a day in diesel just running their digging toys and have only dug up $20K in gold in 2 seasons of digging?  What kind of economic system are they operating in?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 07:40:08 pm »
Living the American dream of being movie stars, famous, and on TV.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 09:44:49 am »
So the miners FINALLY found some gold.  It’s about time.  So what did it come out to be?  4 ounces after 75 days of digging, $1000 a day for diesel, $30,000 for a bulldozer, $10K+ for a shaker, $10K+ for new pumps, $$$$ for automatic gold separation machines, and $2000 to replace ONE bolt in a front end loader. 

So how much is left for these 6 or 7 guys to “support their families through winter” when gold is only $1600 an ounce?

How many pounds of gold do you reckon they would really need to even get close to breaking even?

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 02:20:26 pm »
I have no idea how they are doing it, unless a lot of the shiny new equipment is being donated for advertising. I'll tell you one thing though, if one of my kids had talked to their grandfather the way the Parker kid did, I would have beat the brakes off of him. Not sure if that was for the sake of TV drama or not, but it sure got my goat.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 04:40:06 pm »
I missed that last night.   Make it thru to about 8:30 then fell asleep watching the rerun shows.   Totally missed the new show at 9.   

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 04:47:13 pm »
Check your TV Guide. It will be repeated sometime this week. Larry

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, 05:00:40 pm »
I agree with K9, that Parker kid was very disrespectful to his 92 year old Grandfather.  That was a real turn off to me as well.

Allen you missed how it now costs $2000 to replace what looked to be about a 2” long x 3/8” thick bolt holding a hydraulic hose in place.  Good thing these guys aren’t running an auto repair dealership!

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2011, 10:03:00 pm »

**Allen you missed how it now costs $2000 to replace what looked to be about a 2” long x 3/8” thick bolt holding a hydraulic hose in place.  Good thing these guys aren’t running an auto repair dealership!**

kinda like the california gold rush of 1800 -the real ones to get rich where the ones that open
 hardware emporiums and sold shovels and gold pans--parker is good kid--he will get pay back next week
 grandpa has a heartatack-we will see the real side of parker--RDY-B

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2011, 10:48:24 pm »
Easyouts aren't cheap you know ;) I'm sure the network is carrying this operation's cost, they were broke last season, the only way they would have made it was cause of great ratings. I agree that the kid hurt his grand dad, sucks getting old and trying to pass of the business to the third generation rarely works, but for just turning 17 he is a real go getter - imagine if he had the old mans 25 years of experience.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 09:26:58 am »
I watched last year but missed the last show. Didn't even realize that it was back on this year.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ