Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is feeding pollen a substitute for feeding?  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Andrew Tyzack

• New Bee
    • http://www.thelandgallery.com
Is feeding pollen a substitute for feeding?
« on: March 13, 2006, 05:16:46 am »
After following a thread here about feeding pollen , I'm going to have a go at feeding pollen substitute. Basically to see what happens (the rape is early here). I also intend to make myself a pollen trap so that I can feed the real thing next year.

My question is - its still cold here in the UK and my bees are currently taking candy. Will the pollen patties not only encourage and feed new brood (that's what I'm hoping for), but provide the bees with food if they're getting short on stores - in other words should I continue feeding with candy and sugar syrup as well as the pollen?

Thanks,

Andrew

Offline SherryL

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 12:04:06 pm »
Andrew, I'm no expert - there are lots of people here that could give you a more knowledgeable answer, but here goes.

The thing with 'spring feeding' is to try to time a stimulation for the queen to start laying.  Ideally timing the feeding to a little more than 6 weeks prior to your first bloom (giving yourself lots of new bees for the bloom).  

Feed in small amounts to avoid the bees from filling up the brood nest leaving no space for the queen to lay.

You mentioned your bees are currently taking candy and that there is a small amount left.  Sounds like they'll be ok with that.  Unless they run out of the candy and your bloomtime is still a long ways away, I'd say you don't need to worry about addtional candy or syrup solution.

One thing you mentioned is that you reversed the boxes.  Are the bees now a full boxes distance away from the candy?  If it's still really cold in your area I think that could be a problem.  If the bees were still tightly clustered, they may not be able to reach their food source anymore.

What does everyone else say????

sherry

Offline SherryL

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 12:06:01 pm »
OK, me bad. :D  You DIDN'T mention reversing the boxes, that must have been another post.  :oops:   Never mind that last part!

sherry

anything