Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Your thoughts on sm extractors--hand crank or motorized?  (Read 3968 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
Your thoughts on sm extractors--hand crank or motorized?
« on: December 01, 2007, 12:57:39 pm »
I just can not decide between the 6 frame or 9 frame radial hand crank or motorized.  Hand crank simplicity looks good to me.  No motor means one less thing that can break.  Yet with motor I can do uncapping etc. while frames are spinning.  How long do you spend cranking a 9 frame to empty the frames?  And with a maximum of, let's say, 10 hives,(I currently have only 4) is it worth the extra $ to get a motor?  Are the motors virtually trouble free?  Maybe some of you can shed the light of experience on this?  Thanks.
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline pttom

• New Bee
Re: Your thoughts on sm extractors--hand crank or motorized?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 01:04:40 pm »
I have a 9 frame radial hand turn from Brushy Mountain and it worked great with only 8 hives, but with 25 I am going to up grade before long. It will save a lot of time not having to hand crank.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 04:34:20 pm »
I started with a plastic Chinese made hand extractor. Did fine for about a year. The extractor got  damaged when I dropped it. I replaced it with a metal one and put on a varible speed motor.

The plastic one is fine when you have just a few hives. When you get more you will want to upgrade to avoid carpal tunnel.  :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 05:30:48 pm »
I held out until I could afford a 9/18 motorized.  I've never regretted holding out.  A small hand crank is very time consuming and inefficient.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 07:51:11 pm »
I held out until I could afford a 9/18 motorized.  I've never regretted holding out.  A small hand crank is very time consuming and inefficient.

But think of all the calories you burn.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline deantn

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 10:17:47 am »
Still like mine, a plastic garbage can with a 9 frame SS setup mounted inside. Bought in late 70's from a company here in TN. that Dadant bought out about a year after they started. Runs with a drill attached to the top shaft and works fine with a variable speed B&D attached to it.Only have two hives now but a planning a few more this next spring.

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 10:24:59 am »
Go with the motorized one. I have extracted with both and after using the motorized one I would not buy a hand crank. So much time was saved and I was a lot less sore after extracting.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 10:36:14 am »
A small note.

The motorized one's are nice if they have the right motor. A varible speed motor is best.
When I first bought my metal extractor with the motor it would blow out my frames. One thing you have with a hand crank is the ability to control the speed.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 11:09:48 am »
OK, thanks to you all.  It sounds like a variable speeded motorized extractor is the way to go.  Your confirmations are appreciated.
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB