Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Replace a queen  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
Replace a queen
« on: March 20, 2016, 07:05:50 am »
I have 3 hives and one is doing really bad it just wont draw frames out and the ones it does draw takes ages. Is it too late in the year to replace her im located hours south west of sydney

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
Re: Replace a queen
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 09:08:50 am »
Not too late. But it's not the queens fault for slow comb. Can you tell us more about the hive, and why your not happy with its performance.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 09:10:25 am »
I will be replacing a queen this week, l will put the old queen in a nuc in case the re queening fails. If all goes well next spring, hope to bred a few queen's and if the nuc survives, replace her. Her offspring are quite nasty and they were attacking my Ute yesterday as I drove past about 10m away.

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 03:39:50 am »
I have 3 hives got 2 november and last year and 1 in january this year.
The 2 from november one was a pakage and the other one was a split. The pakage drew out the 8 frames really fast, within 3 weeks. The split had 2 frames of honey and 2 frames of brood with a new queen. I also fed syrup for 2 weeks and it took close to 2 months for them to draw the 6 frames out. Plus another week over Christmas on syrup. The brood box was full of bees so i put a super on and its been on for over a month and haven't drawn any of the comb at all.
The package got a super on week before Christmas and its had all 8 frames draw in 3 weeks with honey being stored straight away.

The package i got in january drew all 10 frames out within 3 week. They drank a lot of syrup so i fed them for that 3 weeks. Will put a super on that over easter could of put one on 2 weeks ago but haven't painted it yet or put frames together.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 07:22:28 am »
Of your 8 or 10 frame s can you tell us how many frames are honey, pollen, brood etc.is she still laying, how's the pattern.

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 07:26:20 pm »
Its a 10 frame and there is plenty of brood, new eggs, about 1 and half frames of honey plus some stored around the brood. The bees just don't seem to work like the other 2 boxes either the other to hives work hard with lots of bees coming and this one seems lazy. All 3 hives have chalk brood as well which has slowed them a little but all seem to be managing it ok

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 07:00:43 am »
Yep requeen, it can help with the chalk broad. Would you recognize any of the signs of nosema ceranea. Actually would you say that in the poorer hive the bees walk on the frames with their wings open, in the shape of a "K".
 Can you move them to more sun?.
Eucalyptus and tea tree oil help with this but just get back to me with info on K wing first.

anything