Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: TOP BAR HIVE STARTER STRIPS  (Read 5173 times)

Offline BEEMAN

• House Bee
TOP BAR HIVE STARTER STRIPS
« on: October 20, 2009, 01:43:57 pm »
 :?I have just built a new top bar hive and was wondering if I can use unwired small cell foundation to be used as starter strips? If so, how wide and long should the strips be in order for the bees to use them? I thought that if I use small cell foundation for the starter strips that the bees would draw out small cell comb.I would appreciate any and all suggestions on the small cell foundation starter strips. I built this top bar hive to be auctioned off at the Louisiana Beekeepers Association convention this year in      Bossier City, LA. I hope it goes over big as an auction item. Last year I built a
Cajun style bee hive for the auction and it was a great hit.

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
  • "Your darnest Questions, get the best Advice"
Re: TOP BAR HIVE STARTER STRIPS
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:18:35 pm »
         Hi Beeman, I am statrating out with TBH too.
your quistions are mostly covered in     > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.
Re: a Fruitless Fall - Cell sizing   
Good luck,
... Rob                                       

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 07:45:46 pm »
you can use SC for starter strips, but it won't cause them to draw SC comb.  They will draw the same comb whether you use SC, LC, or smooth starter strips.  The don't use it as a pattern to copy, the use it to center the comb.  They will build whatever cell size THEY want.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 08:41:28 pm »
I'd use wood.  As Robo says, they will build what they want either way, but the wood is more durable and won't fall out on a hot day.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BEEMAN

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 02:00:14 pm »
Thanks Robo and Michael Bush for the informtion on the starter strips. Michael, I just thought that if I used wax foundation that they would work with it easier. I never took into consideration the strength of the completed comb in the summer sun. Should I wax the wooden starter strips? This forum is the place to find out what you are doing incorrectly or correctly. Thanks to all.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 02:12:34 pm »
You don't need to wax them.  I use unwaxed coroplast strips without a problem.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,22022.msg168614.html#msg168614
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 06:54:49 pm »
>Should I wax the wooden starter strips?

I never do.  You won't attach the wax as well as the bees will and they will follow it just as well without the wax.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything