Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Prices in 2009  (Read 12048 times)

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
Re: Bee Prices in 2009
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 03:38:01 pm »
OldEnglish,

Have you checked the prices at our two local suppliers (Beez Neez and Cedar Glen)?  Might save you a bit.

SH

That was the Beez Neez price, I will not use Cedar Glen Bees

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 07:35:07 pm »
$67 for 3# package delivered.
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 10:24:07 pm »
   Manfre, I'm in Hickory, where did you pick them up?

David

Offline rickomatic

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 12:14:25 am »

I am finishing up a beginning beekeeping course at Beez Neez and plan to get my packages from them since I am already building a relationship with them. But I'm curious as to you comment about Cedar Glen Bees. Is there a reason you won't use them? I am new, so have little to no experience with suppliers. That said, Cedar Glen does seem to have a wider selection of bees. Is there something I need to know about them should I want to try some of their bees in the future?

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 12:43:34 am »

I am finishing up a beginning beekeeping course at Beez Neez and plan to get my packages from them since I am already building a relationship with them. But I'm curious as to you comment about Cedar Glen Bees. Is there a reason you won't use them? I am new, so have little to no experience with suppliers. That said, Cedar Glen does seem to have a wider selection of bees. Is there something I need to know about them should I want to try some of their bees in the future?

If you go to the tuesday night class you know me as I am their while my daughter takes the class.
My comments about Cedar Glen are based on events over at another forum, I also did not know anything about them so last year I posted asking if anyone knew anything about them and their products. The feed back I got was mixed but this year there have been several postings from folks who placed orders through the website using a credit card, so far no orders have been processed and no messages have been returned, either email or phones. What made it an easy decision for me was the owner of cedar glen came on trying to back up his company, then he posted that I was just a disgruntled fired ex employee, when I have never worked for them or any bee supplier for that matter, and I was not the one posting negative about them, I just asked if anyone knew them.

Offline rickomatic

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 01:41:21 pm »
If you go to the tuesday night class you know me as I am their while my daughter takes the class.

oldenglish,
Thanks for the info. I'm actually in the Monday night class at Beez Neez.

Offline Jack

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 08:44:38 pm »
$105 for a 3lb package w/ queen. Italians. Shipped to CT.

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2009, 10:49:28 pm »
$80 for 4lb packages delivered from GA to MA
Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2009, 12:47:06 am »

My comments about Cedar Glen are based on events over at another forum, I also did not know anything about them so last year I posted asking if anyone knew anything about them and their products. The feed back I got was mixed but this year there have been several postings from folks who placed orders through the website using a credit card, so far no orders have been processed and no messages have been returned, either email or phones. What made it an easy decision for me was the owner of cedar glen came on trying to back up his company, then he posted that I was just a disgruntled fired ex employee, when I have never worked for them or any bee supplier for that matter, and I was not the one posting negative about them, I just asked if anyone knew them.

I've ordered packages through Cedar Glen Bees and cannot complain of the service I've recieved personally.  I know they were months late in finally acknowledging reciept of credit card orders but my understanding was that was more an issue of the health of the wife who does all the bookkeeping. 
Cedar Glen Bees is operated by a man and wife who decided to finance their retirement by operating a parttime bee supply company, I think it has grown beyond their expactations or management abilities.  As for Oldenglish, I think the operator mistook you for an ex-employee who is somewhat of a hotshot that attends either the Standwood Beekeepers or the Skagit County Beekeepers depending on who he has offended the least, last.  He has a similar handle.

I'm not trying to defend Cedar Glen Bees just explain the situation as I believe it exists.  I've used them because they have been the closest supplier with the strains of bees I've wanted to obtain, but this might be the last year I get bees through them, depends.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline manfre

• House Bee
    • Backyard Apiary
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2009, 01:08:44 am »
   Manfre, I'm in Hickory, where did you pick them up?

David

The Carolina Bee Company is located about 30 minutes north of Raleigh.
Backyard Apiary - My adventures in beekeeping.
Brewed By Us - A social site for homebrewers (beer, mead, etc.) to share recipes and brew journals.

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 08:28:42 am »
 $77.00 for Three pound pkg and I got four 2 Italians and 2 Carnis.
 $19.50 queens and got two. These come from Oliverize in California.
 I will split most of my existing hives and let them make there own queens. The 2 queens I purchased will replace a couple of three year old queens and I will put the old queens in nucs to supply brood for a weak hive if there are any or to help with comb production I hate to get rid of them they have laid explosive brrood patterns every year so I figured I would keep using them and let the bees decide when to relace them.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 11:06:48 am »
Troutstalker2, see if Brushy or Miller in Wilkesboro has any bees that you can purchase.  I have found both to be reasonably priced and great quality.
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 12:26:15 pm »

I've ordered packages through Cedar Glen Bees and cannot complain of the service I've recieved personally.  I know they were months late in finally acknowledging reciept of credit card orders but my understanding was that was more an issue of the health of the wife who does all the bookkeeping. 
Cedar Glen Bees is operated by a man and wife who decided to finance their retirement by operating a parttime bee supply company, I think it has grown beyond their expactations or management abilities.  As for Oldenglish, I think the operator mistook you for an ex-employee who is somewhat of a hotshot that attends either the Standwood Beekeepers or the Skagit County Beekeepers depending on who he has offended the least, last.  He has a similar handle.

I'm not trying to defend Cedar Glen Bees just explain the situation as I believe it exists.  I've used them because they have been the closest supplier with the strains of bees I've wanted to obtain, but this might be the last year I get bees through them, depends.

I hope things go smoother for them this year, maybe they just got too ambitious to fast but I think they could have worked through that just by letting folks know what was happening. Do they have a store on site with actual hours ? I asked in an email but never heard back.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2009, 04:25:16 pm »
$95.00 for 3lb package from Sacramento Beekeeping Supply, I pick up. I have been very happy so far with the bees. They have worked out great and built up really good.

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2009, 08:05:59 pm »
$80 for 3-lb. package, pickup from local commercial beekeeper who drives to Georgia (?) to get them and offers pickup the next day. I think it was $65 last year (help, Two Bees).
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2009, 10:50:28 pm »

I hope things go smoother for them this year, maybe they just got too ambitious to fast but I think they could have worked through that just by letting folks know what was happening. Do they have a store on site with actual hours ? I asked in an email but never heard back.

There store is a double garage attached to the house.  When the packages arrive the "store" extends part way down the driveway.  It is definitely a retired mom and pop operation.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
    • Honeybees and Beekeeping
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2009, 06:37:31 am »
2 three lb. packages with clipped and marked queens...65.00 each. 35.00 delivery to local Post Office. 8-)

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2009, 07:16:18 am »

There store is a double garage attached to the house.  When the packages arrive the "store" extends part way down the driveway.  It is definitely a retired mom and pop operation.

Way to go for them. I love mom and pop operations. Too many of them are not around anymore. And I'm not talking about just bee stores.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Pix

• New Bee
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2009, 02:09:38 am »
I'm in a quarantine zone so I'm only allowed getting bees from Vancouver Island, BC, Hawaii, New Zealand, Australia.

I'm buying 3 nucs, $110 each CDN$$ Each nuc has 4 frames with bees, brood in all stages and a laying queen.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2009, 11:43:46 pm »
$70.. ea, local beek. no shipping,
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.