Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Linksys router  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Linksys router
« on: January 28, 2008, 04:42:12 pm »
Tryin to help a firned that just bought a Linksys wired router We followe dthe instructons that came with the router and are not able to hook up tot eh internet. I pinged the router and was able to see it. By justing wiring the router to the computer I am able to access the router and set the basic settings. When  I reboot I still can not acess the router or the internet. I tried switching the cables to see if there was a bad cable and nothing. Any suggestions?

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Linksys router
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 07:01:52 pm »
Are you using dial up or broadband?

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 07:51:21 pm »
DSl, broadband

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 08:46:36 pm »
you may need to reset your modem and/or the router. Unplug both, leave unplugged for a minute (literally, 60 seconds), then plug in the modem. When it's fully going, plug in the router. Your computer may need a restart after that, too.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 10:36:09 pm »
Tried that too! I took the router to my house and tried to hook it up and still the same problems.

Offline Clegs

• House Bee
  • Let the good times roll!
    • CalebGo.com - Gread dissusion forums, programmers, hobbiests, or just anyone
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 01:05:19 am »
You know that you are plugging the modem into the WAN and are not using cross-over cables?
You wouldn't of accidentally blocked internet access in the router's configuration would you?  I'd try resetting the router by pressing the reset button with a pin or toothpick or something.

If nothing works, have your friend turn his Linksys router back in and get a D-Link :D
calebgo.com - My website

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 06:43:38 am »
ask your isp how to configure it.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 08:19:01 am »
Call Linksys, it sounds like you may have an issue with the equipment.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline sneekybeez

• Brood
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 09:00:49 am »
Shawn,

Have had similiar problems before, mostly with DSL setups.  Try this...  Make all connections DSL to router - router to computer.  Pull the power from DSL, router and turn off computer.  Leave everything off for about a half hour to allow the modem and router to clear.  First, plug power into DSL modem and walk away.  Leave it for 10 or 15 minutes.  Then plug power into router and walk away - again for 10 or fifteen minutes.  Then power up computer.  Now check a few things upon power up.  Go to control panel and click on "internet options".  In the internet properties screen click on the "connections tab" and at the bottom click on the "LAN Settings" button.  Make sure the the "automatically detect settings" box is checked.  Then go to the control panel and click on "network connections" and make sure there is a "local area network" icon showing.  Right click on the icon and click properties and make sure all the boxes in the window are checked.  Then after closing this window right click on the "local area network" icon again and click on status.  In the status window, click on the "support" tab and in the open window click on the "details" button.  You should then be able to see the "netwrk connections deatils".  If you see a listing for DNS servers that is anything other than 192.168.1.whatever then you are connecting to your providers service.  If not, as Brendhan said, you may have an equipment issue.  More times than not in my experience anyway - the router didn't sync with the modem and by letting them sit for a while, they clear out and normally connect and work fine.  Let me know if this works....

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 01:41:14 am »
Yeah I have tried most everything everyone has said and no luck. I read a lot about Linksys and most people say they are no good. I use a netgear and have had the same one for over 6 years, simple to use. My friend took it back and is going to order a netgear. I think it was equipment issues however I cant be for sure.

anything