Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can anyone identify this chick?  (Read 4113 times)

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Can anyone identify this chick?
« on: June 06, 2008, 02:16:41 pm »
Buddy of mine has peacocks and found this in the peacock pen.  Apparently the egg is between the size of a chicken egg and peacock egg (they have both but are separated from each other).

We suspect it may be a hawk.  If you notice the beak, it's slightly curved like that of a bird of prey.  We just aren't 100% sure.

If it's a hawk, we'll want to let the game commission or somebody like that, know.  Birds of prey are protected in PA.

Nice looking bird though.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Can anyone identify this chick?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 02:36:45 pm »
Googled baby hawk and found this

Looks like it
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 02:42:18 pm »
Not a hawk, they are not born fuzzed like chix/peacocks & can't run around.  They have no feathers & are totally dependant on mom & dad to feed till weaning, so woulda died as peafowl/chix/ducks etc don't feed & don't know how.  It has to be some sort of peafowl, junglefowl, guinnea fowl, chix.  Did he get the eggs somewhere & incubate?  If they are from a hen in the pen it has to be whatever is in the pen.  Probably a mutation color?  If he looks into the background of all possible parents he will find something somewhat like it somewhere.  Hope this helps a little. (at least you know what it isn't!! :lol:) Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 03:08:08 pm »
at least you know what it isn't!!

Personally, I am kinda disappointed...for him, I'm sure he's happy.

He said they were incubated but they were his eggs.  There was an identical egg in with the bunch and the other hatched as a peacock.  I saw the picture of the one sibling and the neck was longer. I couldn't tell the difference between a peacock and turkey but these two chicks definitely look different.  Guess this is a freak of nature.  Maybe he'll let me have it. I can provide the goofy bird with a nice home.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 11:28:24 pm »
You should talk to Cindi about her half Muscovy and half Indian Runner ducks.  My guess is it's a ChiKcock--half Peacock and half chicken.  Such sports do happen but it will be sterile.  If it is a Chikcock call it Wild Bill.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 05:50:43 pm »
Kind of looks lke a Mississippi Kite. We have a migration of them hear but they are not hear yet.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 05:05:48 pm »
Wild Bill Chickcock...LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 08:53:37 pm »
My guess is it's a ChiKcock--half Peacock and half chicken.

I'll have to let him know.  I asked him about it today and he said he still has no idea what it is. 

Wild Bill....lol.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 10:44:23 am »
You should talk to Cindi about her half Muscovy and half Indian Runner ducks. 

Brian, ya, those were some pretty strange birds, I miss them, that Runner drake was a horny ol' peckertoad for sure.  The Runner drake was what was suspected to be a Muscovy/Runner cross, and the offspring of his was Roen X with him and his counterpart duck.  Thought I would throw in a picture of these weird ones.  The blacker birds (Muscovy/Runner) mother and father, the brown bird (Roen) was another mother as well, and the lighter brown ones were the offpsring.  BEautiful day in this great life, love our life, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything