Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey harvest results for 2009  (Read 18676 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Honey harvest results for 2009
« on: July 11, 2009, 06:48:12 pm »
well with all the rain I didn't get about 1/4 of what I thought I would, I left every hive with some honey because I never take frames with brood but I only got this year was 23 gallons, bad honey year!!!! now I am raising queens and feeding.... How did all of yaw do????
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 10:08:49 pm by TwT »
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Davepeg

• House Bee
Re: Honey harvest results for 2009
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 09:26:58 am »
Since we only pull honey for friends and family, it's hard to tell if the honey flow is more or less than normal.  We have had so much rain, I was concerned the bees would not produce enough honey for themselves. We checked the hives a few weeks ago, and were surprised to see quite a bit of honey stored.  I did pull about 10 frames for honey. 
Whenever the sun shines - the girls are busy bringing in the pollen.  I'll check later this week.  We did add a honey shallow to one hive (we have 6 hives).
We love the girls...

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 10:10:19 am »
Because of the rain, the bees were only able to get out to get nectar for themselves. The dandelions came out early spring, but the foraging got rained on.  Clover took a while to come out compared to previous years.  It finally came out once the rain stopped.  It's been out for at least a month or so and no end in site.  Once dry supers are about full and will be harvested soon.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline papabear

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 10:52:24 am »
I am Blessed, I pulled about 15 to 16 gals off two hives and plan on getting more in the fall. :-D
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 11:28:35 am »
I guess that I am confused here. Are you folks saying that it is the end of the season for you? I probably won't even think about pulling off supers till late august or sept. I am still putting them on. I would assume that your season would be similar if not longer being as most of you live in milder lower climates than me?

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 11:56:28 am »
Since most of my apiary is now mobile (on trailers), I can follow the flow.... canola, clover, black berries, privet, squash, watermelons, and now sunflowers and cotton. Have harvested about 20 gallons so far and about that much yet to be pulled.   

Steve

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 01:40:29 pm by asprince »
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 12:09:42 pm »
Ain't done yet. Still more to pull and then there is the fall flow.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 01:12:01 pm »
 So far 15 gallons and they are working on 9 more supers yet and they dont seem to be slowing down I checked them yesterday and they seem to be working harder now than when the sweet clover was booming there is some sweet clover still blooming but almost gone. Can't figure out what they are working but it looks like they can't get it in the hives fast enough. It's funny to watch them tumbling over each other while trying to get in and out of the hive.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 02:11:36 pm »
I guess that I am confused here. Are you folks saying that it is the end of the season for you? I probably won't even think about pulling off supers till late august or sept. I am still putting them on. I would assume that your season would be similar if not longer being as most of you live in milder lower climates than me?

Not at all.  I try to time when I pull my supers depending on the dominant flow.  Clover is on now so I will pull in a few days since the clover is drying up.  Various wild flowers will be out soon after and once that's done, I will pull again. Same goes for dandelion in the spring and goldenrod in the fall.  If the flows are not good...I will just keep the supers piling up until the supers are full.  So far I haven't had any issues with a flow not filling my supers completely.  Either it filled them completely or it hasn't filled them at all (in the case of this spring's dandelion).  I put 4 medium supers (9 frames spaced out) on each hive I plan on getting honey from.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 03:14:54 pm »
I snuck a comb honey super off.  Other than that, still waiting for my hives to get themselves taken care of.  We still have the major soybean flow to come, so I am hoping to at least get enough honey to supply our family needs.   :-D
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 03:20:49 pm »
doesn't look to good so far.  in the height of the blackberry flow and they don't even have enough put away for the winter.  massive amounts of brood!  i'll be lucky to pull 20 pounds off a couple of hives.

looked like a promising year and i have no clue what happened.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cossack

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 05:57:49 pm »
I just pulled 10 supers and only got 25 gallons of honey. We have had alot of rain and cool summer so far.

Hopefully we will fair better in the second nectar flow.

I will pull them again in end of August.
I had a dream last night, I was eating a 10 pound marshmallow. I woke up this morning and the pillow was gone.....

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 06:30:03 pm »
I got about 1/4 of what I usually harvest.  My flow is over, but I may get a few more gallons if it rains for clover & soybeans produce and I feed sugar water to replace what I take.  Too many rainy days this spring.  Also, far fewer swarms than usual.

Offline Patrick

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 05:13:30 pm »
Had a record spring with a nice batch of avacado honey, but so far the summer crop is slow. Which is unusual given that my populations and over all health is good.
Cheers,
Patrick

Offline applebwoi

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 12:32:00 am »
About 23 gallons so far.  My spring harvest was really reduced due to a late freeze at the end of March. I'll collect once more at the end of August.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 02:38:52 am »
     Two hives trying to starve and the others are doing good.  Friend of mine is busy extracting now.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 09:13:35 am »
Pulled 30 gallons from 8 mediums (more like 7 mediums since the end frames were usually empty) and 1 deep.  Flow is still on so there will be more where that came from plus goldenrod in a couple months.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline wetland bee

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 10:05:35 pm »
I hope for 60 lb avg per hive.I got 70 this year. drought has started now. hoping for rain by 1st  week of August.
Russ

Offline BruinnieBear

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 02:19:40 pm »
None, yet!  First year beek from packages.  I've decided to concentrate on comb production and feed, feed ,feed so they don't burn the winter stores.  Maybe fall will be kinder, but right now they're a comb manufacturing plant for next year's supers.

BB
Some days you just have to learn the hard way!

Bruce & Minnie Fairbanks

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 03:37:51 pm »
no idea yet but it looks like a fiarly low year, maybe 9 supers, haven't started to pull yet, I wait till the end of the year, and keep piling them on till then, we still ahve a small flow going on and goldenrod is soon to start. plus waiting on an out yard to start to produce soy beans yet. also kinda dry here.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.