Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Removal Of The New Season-2012  (Read 4738 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
First Removal Of The New Season-2012
« on: February 07, 2012, 04:48:08 pm »
Filmed this with my iphone, so no tripod, just some handheld footage I pieced together. I swear I think my iphone takes better video than my cannon!

Hope y'all enjoy it!

...JP

First Removal Of This Season-2012
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: First Removal Of The New Season-2012
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 05:37:10 pm »
You make it look so easy JP.    And did you use a special program to make your intro look super old?      Thanks for the video.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 05:39:34 pm »
good job there jp.did you leave them in the nuc.looked like they had alot of bees there.         schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 05:40:21 pm »
Cool video, thanks JP.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 05:45:11 pm »
allen, good eyes on that .had to go and look at it again to notice it. i like it.by the way jp,it made you look way older than what you are :-D         schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 05:52:59 pm »
Lots of bees in that one eh Bro? Good 1.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 06:31:56 pm »
Man, good catch Allen! I didn't expect anyone to pick up on that as it seemed somewhat subtle to me. You guessed it though, it was an option I chose with my imovie program. Double nuc for these, they had a good bit of bees.

If y'all want a real messy removal to do than choose one like this one! Had to cut through sheetrock, then plaster. Plaster dust friggin' everywhere! Also done on a stairwell with limited space. The guys you see were a big help with keeping the area somewhat clean and workable.

Schawee, you older than dirt dude!  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 09:39:18 am »
Ahhh. This post makes me happy! (And that was a lot of bees in a complicated spot, JP. Nice work.)

-Liz
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 10:24:01 am »
Cool video as usual JP!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 12:51:13 pm »
Good job JP, very nice healthy looking hive. How's your back doing these days?

Don

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 01:06:41 pm »
Enjoyed the video JP. A friend of mine was called by his neighbor last Friday. His neighbor said that one one his hives had a huge swarm in his tree. He headed home to collect it but it was gone before he got there. Seasons starting. I hope I get a lot of calls.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 07:04:01 pm »
Good job JP, very nice healthy looking hive. How's your back doing these days?

Don

Don, most days things are fine. I have two herniated disks. One in the upper neck one in my lower back. Many people have herniated disks & I've run into a small handful of people in my position. Out of the blue things sometimes act up for no apparent reason. Could be because I slept wrong, stood up wrong, the weather. Sometimes I have to use a cane for a short while because my lower back will get shooting pains when I put any weight on my right leg but this usually passes within minutes, sometimes hours. I get headaches when my neck stiffens up. This happens most when I'm looking up working off of a ladder or squirrel hunting. Haven't worked off of ladders lately but the season is upon me so here goes nothing. I keep Ibuprofen with me which helps tremendously to keep inflammation down.

Now I bet you are sorry you asked!  :-D

...JP

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 08:09:17 pm »
Nothing like a video from JP to forget about the 2 feet of snow sitting in my yard and get me thinking about Springtime and beekeeping.  :)

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 09:55:54 am »

...JP

Sorry that your back is still messed up, all from the accident?

Changing subjects, noticing those very dark bees, curious what percentage of swarms and cutouts you do, you think are from long term feral colonies, vs. somewhat recent beekeeper escapees, say less than 3 years. Have any guesses?   

Don

Offline oblib

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 10:54:04 am »
Thanks for the vid JP.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 11:50:59 am »

...JP

Sorry that your back is still messed up, all from the accident?

Changing subjects, noticing those very dark bees, curious what percentage of swarms and cutouts you do, you think are from long term feral colonies, vs. somewhat recent beekeeper escapees, say less than 3 years. Have any guesses?   

Don

I'd only be guessing trying to answer that question with any authority Don but it is amazing how many times it is pointed out to me that there's another hive next door or down the street, either in a building or tree or some other man made thing.

I look at the color of the comb on cut outs to give me somewhat of an idea of how long I believe they've been there. If the comb is almost black, I believe its at least 2.5 yrs of age. I've done a few where the comb was as dark as asphalt & I could not cut it with a knife.

I did one about 4-5 yrs ago uptown New Orleans that the guy swears had been there 15 yrs.

...JP

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 08:57:44 pm »
Nice video!
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

anything