Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Yet another foundationless question.  (Read 3349 times)

Offline melliphile

• House Bee
Yet another foundationless question.
« on: September 22, 2009, 11:35:06 pm »
   I getting prepared for trying top bar and foundationless next spring.  I was planning on using wood glue and popsicle sticks as starter strips. Is there any gain by putting starter strips on the bottom groove of the frame, or would this be a wasted effort?
"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." -Plato

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: Yet another foundationless question.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 01:30:15 am »
The bees start at the top & work their way down so starter strips at the bottom don't help. 
Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline beedad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 05:17:03 pm »
whatever you use to give the bees a guide ie Popsicle sticks, make sure that it runs the whole width of the hive.  i tried popsicle sticks in my tbh's and they worked fine except i didnt go the width of the hive.  so at the ends the bees usually curve the comb toward the front of the hive.  next year im going to use triangle bottoms on my top bars.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 05:52:01 pm »
>Is there any gain by putting starter strips on the bottom groove of the frame, or would this be a wasted effort?

I don't think it's worth the effort, but it will encourage them to attach the bottom sooner.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline melliphile

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 09:24:58 pm »
Thank you all for your input.  I'm glad I asked before I did it.
"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." -Plato