Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cherry Pollination....  (Read 3438 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Cherry Pollination....
« on: August 10, 2010, 02:15:42 am »
Hi Guys,

I've been asked to supply two hives to a cherry orchard here in Victoria, Australia... I've suggested they should go with more but they're insistent that it's only two. Anyway, i'm going to set a minimum fee of $200 AUS to cover my costs and the fact my hives will be out for four weeks or so... worst they can say is that's too expensive - i think the going rate over here is around $75 AUS per hive and delivery costs are negotiated - it's about a 200km return trip to where this orchard is.

Anyway, Cherries - what are they like for the bees? good nectar and pollen?

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: Cherry Pollination....
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 02:02:59 am »
Bees do well on cherries-but the size of the orchard must be large enough for them to benefit -only two hives needed would worry me that the orchard is not big enough to HOLD the bees -and if there is other forage around the bees may seek this instead-sometimes better for the grower to saturate his orchard with bees than to skimp-RDY-B

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 04:59:29 am »
I don't know how far and what the going rate there is.  In the US I have a minimum of $200 US and for that I take four hives.  Any less isn't worth my trouble to haul them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 10:54:41 am »
Who big is the orchard ? and Acres or Hectares

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 11:15:15 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

anything