Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Just trying to learn  (Read 2581 times)

Offline intently

• New Bee
    • Beekeeping on MindThrow
Just trying to learn
« on: August 09, 2008, 05:39:01 pm »
Hi there... I'm here mostly because my 13-year-old daughter wants to learn how to keep bees, and I know absolutely nothing about it.
Beekeeping on MindThrow

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Just trying to learn
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 09:20:51 pm »
Hi there... I'm here mostly because my 13-year-old daughter wants to learn how to keep bees, and I know absolutely nothing about it.

This is the place to learn as much as you need to know, better than a dozen books.  You'll get a lot of feedback on questions.  BTW, I started beekeeping in 1959 at the age of 10 so I became quite a spert by the time I was 16.  A spert is a person who thinks they know more than they do but don't have enough experience to have earned the ex prefix.  In the intervening years I think I've closed the gap on what I thought I knew and what I actually know.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 11:13:38 am »
Intently, welcome to our forum.  Just wait....you will learn about the bees, along with your Daughter.  That is wonderful that you are entering this kingdom of the bees, to help her to learn, you will be her guide.  Get your Daughter interested in this forum too, here you both can learn, and then one day get the bees, she will love that, as will you.  Glad you found us, we have a wealth of people with wonderful informations that you can glean....stick around, here you will make new friends too, we will all help you and your Daughter out.  Have that most wonderful, most beautiful and great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 06:59:51 am »
Hello and welcome!

This is a great forum to learn about bees and beekeeping.  Take some time and go thru the tutorials on the main Beemaster page, that's one of the places I began learning about beekeeping several years ago.

Also, tell us where you are. Maybe we can help get you connected with a local beekeeping club, or a nearby beekeeper. Clubs often offer beginning beekeeping classes, and are another good place to learn about bees. I'm sure there would be someone who would enjoy giving you and your daughter an "up close and personal" demonstration. I had a Mom talk to me this spring saying her kids were interested in bees so I had them come over... here are a few pictures:
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,15282.0.html

Offline Pelle 79

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 04:34:59 pm »
im new here to but im thinking about getting some bees but is it expensive?
And does it take mutch time?
Official distributor of magicjack outside USA/Canada

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 07:45:30 pm »
Pella, it depends, and it depends.

Firstly, it depends on what your idea of expensive is, and what your goals of beekeeping are.  If about $300 isn't expensive for you to get into a new hobby, then it's not expensive.  If that is too expensive for you, and your goals in beekeeping don't necessarily mean keeping honey bees, then a orchard mason bee hive only costs about $20.

Secondly, it depends on what you consider a lot of time.  If a few hours a week isn't very time consuming to you, then honey bees will work out great.  But if you don't really want to spend any time on them, again, orchard mason bees might be a better choice.

anything