Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from NW PA.  (Read 1952 times)

Offline mswartfager

• House Bee
Hello from NW PA.
« on: August 10, 2008, 06:59:38 pm »
I got my first nuc in the last week of May, 2008.  Somehow I became interested in bees last year - after 39 years of not paying much attention to them.  On my daily drive home from work I would see a small local apiary and got to thinking that was pretty interesting. I really don't know how this came to be, but I started reading and talking with the bee keeper there.  He took me with him once and that's all it took to really hook me.  I've been reading and trying to learn all I can ever since then.  I ordered some things from Dadant last year and got my first nuc in the last week of May, 2008.  I don't have any other hobbies to speak of and really enjoy the bees.  I'd like to really expand with more hives, but I'm waiting to see how I do with the first one and how winter goes with them here in NW PA.  I'm using the BeeMax Hive from Dadant, so I hope the winter goes well with that extra bit of insulation.  I hope to be around with my bees for years to come.  Mark Swartfager.

Offline beekybuzzard

• New Bee
Re: Hello from NW PA.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 08:20:30 pm »
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the new obsession---I mean hobby. There are plenty of folks here to get advice and help from, a very helpful site. I just got into beekeeping this year also, my dad (64) and I (41) took the early course at the ag center and he just got his 5th and 6th hives this week and I am up to 7 myself.
With the help of the Lord I hope to be a good and faithful Shepard to all that He allows me to attend.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hello from NW PA.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 01:48:26 pm »
Mark, welcome to our forum.  Didn't take much to peak your interest in the bees eh?  That is commonplace, once the human being begins to learn a little about them, they are hooked, they are under their spell, and I mean this seriously.  You have seen that, once you begin to learn, you can't stop learning about their secret little lives, they are incredibly interesting.  You will one day have more colonies, keep learning all you can, this will do nothing but good when it comes to their care, yeah!!!  This is a place where you can spend wonderful time, tell your stories, tales and experiences, we all love to listen, enjoy your stay here, we all do.  Have that most wonderful day, lovin' and livin' life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything