Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: POTENTIAL BEE KEEPER/HOSTESS  (Read 16775 times)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: POTENTIAL BEE KEEPER/HOSTESS
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2008, 07:37:42 pm »
 Hi Heathernay!
 Just one quick word...Awww, never mind...I cant do just one word.....Just kind of be careful where you get your bees from, is what I want to say....It seems to me that every time they talk about Africanized bees, they talk of Arizona first. They are supposed to be here where i live too but I havent come across any...Yet.... But theres people(just a few, mind you) in the local bee club who have told me that ALL the bees around here are Africanized, and they kill off the bees that they get calls about to come get.I dont think they know what they're talking about..( Now watch,.....I'll catch some by accident, and they'll probably stay) :(
  NWINBeekeeper, Yep, thats kind of the way i feel....I got the bees, but I'm sort of slow at doing everything I need to do...I'm kind of taking a step at a time...You know, doing it when i need to do it. I've been really lucky at this bee thing I've got going on...No beetles..No moths...Havent seen any mites but i got the stuff for them this Fall anyways... Caught some swarms, seen a few queens...LIFE IS GOOD to me so far..(Hey thats the words to a song!...Joe Walsh!)....And you know,....I'm no expert....But everybody within miles THINKS I am!!..Aaaarrrrrggghhhh!!!! :-D

your friend,
john

Offline HEATHERNAY

• New Bee
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2008, 07:58:38 pm »
i was worried about those africans after I googled arizona beekeepers.....the fire dept didnt get back to me on what type of bees made a hive outta my water meter...that meter reader sure was mad at me! like I put them there!!! which is another reason im trying to find a local keeper here in town.... we have defiantely had our share of attacks in the last few years but (knock on wood) I havent heard of any locally this year...they are focusing on west nile virus!! Bad stuff!
thx for the heads up!!!!

Heather

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2008, 09:30:27 pm »
 Hey NWIN,
This is FUNNY stuff!!..
I noticed a couple days ago you had your picture(avatar) posted .
Then this afternoon, I saw your wife( I thought..I was even going to tell you that she looked like someone I know but couldnt remember who....
....And Then,... :shock: :shock: :shock:....I surely didnt think Fred Sanford was your dad!! :-D

...And I dont even know how to put a pic in my avatar :(

your friend,
john

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2008, 01:41:23 am »
[...Then this afternoon, I saw your wife( I thought..I was even going to tell you that she looked like someone I know but couldnt remember who....]

Maybe Martha Steward.... it was a joke in another post!

I thought Redd Foxx would be funny after discussing "Desert Hillbillies".

[I noticed a couple days ago you had your picture(avatar) posted .]

That was Chad Kroeger of Nickleback.   

Maybe someday you will catch more than my hand in a picture.
Until then.... keep watching.
There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2008, 02:08:38 am »
[...that meter reader sure was mad at me]

I'd wrap a rubber snake around the meter for the next reading.
Your bill might be cheaper if they resolve to only 'estimate' your usage.

After that a bloody fake rubber arm....

[...we have defiantely had our share of attacks in the last few years...]

Well I would recommend getting a really good suit if you expect/willing to be called out.

[...fire dept didnt get back to me on what type of bees made a hive...]

This would require deeper testing than the fire department is capable of.
(unless they send some out to a bee lab to test? I don't what your area would do.)
But the small area of a water meter is highly suspect as AHB will select smaller cavities than EHB.

[...they are focusing on west nile virus!! Bad stuff!]

You don't think a little brain swelling is fun?

I now have little garden tractor repair shops selling pesticide blowers for home owner usage against mosquitos.  Talk about pesticide over usage. I used one while working for ORKIN and they kill a lot of non-target insects. I suspect a lot of bees are killed as it gets used near the house where lots of plants are in bloom.  The pesticides are all labeled 'not to use on bloom' and 'toxic to bees' but homeowners rearly read labels.

I have wax to render and an observation hive to build before the fair starts tomorrow... more chats later as time allows.

-Jeff
There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2008, 06:17:15 am »
that meter reader sure was mad at me! like I put them there!!!

That meter reader shouldn't have even had to check the actual meter.  Last year our water utility installed transmitters on the meters, so all they have to do is drive down the road with their reciever and it picks up our meter readings without them even having to get out of their vehicles.  Which is good because I was a bit concerned about the black widows that made a home in the meter box when we first moved in.  The water company saves a lot of money that way, too... since one reader can cover a MUCH larger area in the same amount of time.

Offline HEATHERNAY

• New Bee
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2008, 10:43:45 pm »
YEAH WELL.........YOU'VE NEVER BEEN TO THIS LOVELY TOWN...WE HAVE THAT SET UP FOR THE ELECTRIC...BUT NOT THE WATER...OR GAS.....MIGHT SAVE ON MY GAS BILL NEXT YEAR SINCE THATS RIGHT WHERE IM WANTING TO PUT MY HIVES! HEE HEE HEE (FLIES OFF ON HER BROOM)....

anything