Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: POTENTIAL BEE KEEPER/HOSTESS  (Read 16776 times)

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
Re: POTENTIAL BEE KEEPER/HOSTESS
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 06:23:29 pm »
[...maybe you are more like Irwin and SgtMaj...]

Hey now, I wasn't going around insulting you! J/K

[...members who didn't seem to get the "extended" welcome...]

What are you talking about? I've been a member for better than two year now. I think if I remember right John (BeeMaster) actually came to my house. We drank beers ate steaks and talked about faking the moon landing, ghosts, and reincarnation. He might even have asked me to be a moderator a few dozen times, but I told him that I far too busy teaching cripple children and saving kittens from trees. But I told him if I ever turned EVIL that I would be glad to be a moderator.

[...They're still too giddy.]

And you think that's going to end anytime soon?

There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Offline HEATHERNAY

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 08:18:02 pm »
THX! I SENT HER AN EMAIL! AMADA, AZ IS KINDA CLOSE...I LOOKED ON A MAP! I ASKED IF I COULD COME VISIT....NEVER KNOW TILL YOU ASK RIGHT!!!!!  BESIDES, THE HUBBY AND I LIKE TO TRAVEL AND WE'VE NEVER BEEN THERE!  THX!

Offline HEATHERNAY

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 08:29:21 pm »
Talk about late.... I didn't even know there was a welcome wagon!

Its not nice you guys left me out in the woods.

Its all fine, I don't really do welcomes or good bys - we all cross paths as we are meant to.

So, someone going to ask how many hives she wants to have?
(Are going to have a side bet how many she has in 2 years?  :-D)

[I HAPPENED TO NOTICE THAT EVEN MY SODA RECYCLING CAN DOESNT HAVE THE USUAL SWARM OF BEES AROUND IT THIS YEAR]

Um... here we call those bees, wasps. Yellow jackets more specifically. And they aren't very welcome around my apiaries. They are lazy robbers of hard earned honey.
Maybe we can have an entomology class later?
I'll be the guy in the back throwing paper airplanes.

-Jeff

[I THINK I WENT TO SCHOOL WITH A GUY LIKE YOU....LOL...HMM SURE LOOKED LIKE BEES IN MY SODA...BUT I DONT EVEN SEE WASPS THIS YEAR!!! I GUESS THATS A GOOD THING!?   AS FAR AS HOW MANY HIVES I WANT....IM THINKING ABOUT TWO? SINCE I LIVE AROUND OTHER PEOPLE....IM THINKING I CAN GET AWAY WITH TWO HIVES. I TALKED TO ONE NEIGHBOR ABOUT IT YESTERDAY....BUT IM HAVING A HARD TIME GETTING THRU TO PEOPLE THAT BEES ARE GOOD-NOT BAD! HOW DO YOU GET THRU TO PEOPLE OR DO WE JUST NOT CARE AND GO ABOUT BEEKEEPING...CAUSE IM ABOUT TO THAT POINT!]

Offline HEATHERNAY

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 08:30:59 pm »
I bet that we have just about scared poor Heather away. She is now running into the hills screaming "crazy People". Heather we do get a little sideways sometimes. Bottom line is you will very muchy enjoy the bees and for the most part bee people. "The Most Part" We look forward to including you into the familiy of beeks.
F
[HAHA BEEKS! I LOVE IT!]

Offline HEATHERNAY

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 08:41:19 pm »
I WAS THINKING MAYBE SOMEONES MAKING MOONSHONE OUTTA HONEY? BUT THEN I THOUGHT..MAYBE THAT WOULD TASTE PRETTY GOOD!! 
ANYWAYS, IM WANTING TO PUT MY HIVES IN THE SIDE YARD. ITS FENCED....oops! I just figured out what ya'll meant by yelling...the big letters right? Im used to talking to older people who cant see...sorry!  Anyways....side yard is fenced in so the dogs and kids cant get to em....right in that side yard are two honey suckle vines and a silver lace vine, cherry tomatoes and peppers...I have about 20 rose bushes in the back and front yard along with two apple trees and a newly planted bing cherry tree, some other stuff too...even two types of lavander.....oh strawberries too! Ive noticed people talking about "feeding" their girls...I think in the winter? and since i cant imagine you're talking about making them a rose petal salad...what are ya talking about? can you BUY pollen? Told ya...I got a lot to learn! I guess that makes me the girl in the front of the class with my hand waving like crazy while getting hit in the head with paper airplanes.....
Heather

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 09:28:48 pm »
I WAS THINKING MAYBE SOMEONES MAKING MOONSHONE OUTTA HONEY? BUT THEN I THOUGHT..MAYBE THAT WOULD TASTE PRETTY GOOD!! 
ANYWAYS, IM WANTING TO PUT MY HIVES IN THE SIDE YARD. ITS FENCED....oops! I just figured out what ya'll meant by yelling...the big letters right? Im used to talking to older people who cant see...sorry!  Anyways....side yard is fenced in so the dogs and kids cant get to em....right in that side yard are two honey suckle vines and a silver lace vine, cherry tomatoes and peppers...I have about 20 rose bushes in the back and front yard along with two apple trees and a newly planted bing cherry tree, some other stuff too...even two types of lavander.....oh strawberries too! Ive noticed people talking about "feeding" their girls...I think in the winter? and since i cant imagine you're talking about making them a rose petal salad...what are ya talking about? can you BUY pollen? Told ya...I got a lot to learn! I guess that makes me the girl in the front of the class with my hand waving like crazy while getting hit in the head with paper airplanes.....
Heather

Uhh, paper airplanes? We're kinda a rowdy bunch, would definitely be spit balls!!!

Welcome to our world!!!! :-* :-D ;)

...JP

Oh, and about the hives, def start with at least two.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 10:47:03 pm »
Hi Heather

Annette again to tell you I think you definitely need to wait until next Spring to get your bees started. Take this time now to read, read, read and ask lots of questions. You will need to get all your equipment together and understand lots more before you get started. I am going to recommend you start by reading some beekeeping books then you will understand at least some basics.

You can start with "beekeeping for dummies", which seems to be a favorite around here. Only problem is, many things in that book are outdated such as his use of chemicals for treating mites, etc. and he doesn't explain it is better to start with supers of the same size  and also use all mediums or 8 frame supers.

I am now reading a good book, although not categorized as nicely as the dummy book. Called "Natural Beekeeping" by Ross Conrad. This is more in line with how I like to do beekeeping. Naturally.

Also we have a wonderful member here named Michael Bush who has a website filled with tons of information on beekeeping. Goggle"Bushfarms.com".

Good Luck
Annette

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 02:31:07 am »
[..."beekeeping for dummies", which seems to be a favorite around here. ]

I think around there is California.

I know around here "BFD" is the butt of many jokes.
If you bee keep for long enough, or with much attention you will find many mistakes with the book.
I wasn't written by a beekeeper as many of the best books are.
Its a compilation of what the author thinks is good beekeeping.

I think its an OK starter book to get an overall picture, but I would not rely on it as an operators manual.

[Also we have a wonderful member here...]

Actually we have a lot of wonderful members(plural).
To pin point one person as a mere soul authority is a little narrow minded.
I think MB has developed a very informative website that can answer a lot of questions.
But nothing ever beats the experience of observing your own bees.
A lot of information on the internet/books/other beekeepers may not apply to your location.
To take one person's opinion and treat it as gospel, and use to work against your bees is shameful.
This is especially true as frequently people will post what they read and not what they do.
There is a significant difference. Sometimes people post results with only trying once.
Good results can depend on a lot of different conditions, and we don't always consider them all.

So rather than focusing on one person, or even a concept (like small cell, foundationless, natural cell, 8 frame boxes) do as Annette recomends, READ, READ, READ. And then stew on the idea for a couple weeks before you act. Re-working equipment is not only costly, its a waste time and hurts your ego. With some thought and asking around for answers from both sides of the fence, one will find what feels right to do.

There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 03:27:27 am »
[HOW DO YOU GET THRU TO PEOPLE ]

Sometimes you never do.

Sometimes a jar of honey does it.

Sometimes hearing the news reports strikes a nerve.

The best thing to do is not to push the issue.
When people are forced to accept an idea, you'll get the most resistance.
So read what you need to do to be a good neighbor.
Find out what the typical concerns are and how to address them.
Be subtle, but check to make sure that you legally can have bees where you plan to.
Never imply you have any hives, just check for "a friend". ;)

[I guess that makes me the girl in the front of the class with my hand waving like crazy while getting hit in the head with paper airplanes.....]

Don't be a geek, sit in back, there's no quizes here.
We won't let you flunk out of the class - because we won't have anyone fun play with!
I learned the hard way (by-the-way where is Finsky? I miss his input).

I think JP put gum in your hair.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 09:42:37 am »
[...members who didn't seem to get the "extended" welcome...]

What are you talking about? I've been a member for better than two year now. I think if I remember right John (BeeMaster) actually came to my house. We drank beers ate steaks and talked about faking the moon landing, ghosts, and reincarnation. He might even have asked me to be a moderator a few dozen times, but I told him that I far too busy teaching cripple children and saving kittens from trees. But I told him if I ever turned EVIL that I would be glad to be a moderator.

I was referring to Heather, sticking around, not you..... you've proven you don't wander too far ;)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2008, 10:53:03 am »
Jeff, I'll put where I believe Finsky is, in a nutshell.  This may be kind of harsh, and some may not like what I say, but I have a pretty good feeling I know what happened.

Finsky has spent many many long hours and posts, talking and trying to teach other beekeepers an awful lot about mite controls, in particular, with the bees.  He has put in this forum a wealth of information.  I think that he felt like no one was really listening to his words....it got him frustrated and he basically couldn't be bothered to participate anymore.  He also got very annoyed with inexperienced  beekeepers expressing their opinions in how to keep bees, without having good backup data for the things that they say.  I can recall him saying this in one of his posts.  That he didn't like the wrong informations that have been given out to new, inexperienced beekeepers.

These are only my opinions, I could be totally and 100% wrong, but that is my entire take on why Finsky is no longer an active member.  If someone disagrees with my thoughts on this, I welcome those thoughts from you.  I say, I could be wrong.....but have those gut feelings.  Have a great day, wonderful day, beautiful life. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 11:04:47 am »
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 11:07:30 am »
[ I could be totally and 100% wrong...]

Nope you are on the mark, its just sad he was driven off or quit.
It takes guts day in and day out to do beekeeping correctly (or at least trying to correct your mistakes).

[Re: POTENTIAL BEE KEEPER/HOSTESS]

What exactly is a bee HOSTESS?
Do you invite them in to sit on the couch and serve them drinks?

Heather has a little 'bee disco lounge' where drones in their leisure suits lay around in smoky booths.
Where the only song on the jukebox is 'staying alive'.
Its crazy man, crazy.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 11:19:10 am »
JP, OK, come on and tell us, how did you find out that Finsky was posting on the BBB?  Now I no longer think that you are a brat, hee, hee, and (smiling), but I think you are the nosiest guy on earth too, hee, hee, and (smiling).  Tell us more.  Have that most awesomely great and wonderful day, beautiful life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2008, 03:21:52 pm »
 Good work JP!
 I think I'll go say hello!
 Is he still "Finsky"?
 I agree with Michael Bush having a great( In my opinion, the BEST) website for getting bee information :)
 About "beekeeping for dummies"...I read many other books about beekeeping before I got the dummy book. But, bee books can be sort of like the bible....You might not be able to understand it until you have "Special" help..For me, Beekeeping for Dummies was the "Special Help" which provided me the help to understand what the other bee books were trying to tell me.For me, at this time in my beekeeping life(into my second year) I'm mostly just liking doing it, whether right or wrong.For instance,......Small cell???...Queen rearing???...Man, i dont have a clue about these things :roll:..But, what I do know, whether I'm doing my bees right or wrong, is I'm having a BLAST!..I most likely dont give the bees as much time as I should, thats for sure, but I bet I give them more time than alot of people.( I am fortunate though, as I have my piece of land and the bees are right there in the back yard near the woods).  Theres advice here that I sometimes see that is WAY ABOVE my level of experience. Finsky is a guy who seemed to really know his bees, but I think he was so sure of himself because he experienced what he advised on.
As for me,...Well, my advice I share here isnt what I would call advice...Its what I'd call, "What I did" sort of thing....This means I'm not trying to show my intelligence.Its more like "What I got away with".
 Theres 3 reasons I come here..First, to be educated..Second, because I like the people here,..And third, to be entertained :-D...Those three areas cover alot of territory, dontcha know?
Well,...That all I know about this :)

your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2008, 04:26:26 pm »
JP, OK, come on and tell us, how did you find out that Finsky was posting on the BBB?  Now I no longer think that you are a brat, hee, hee, and (smiling), but I think you are the nosiest guy on earth too, hee, hee, and (smiling).  Tell us more.  Have that most awesomely great and wonderful day, beautiful life.  Cindi

Dallas told me Finsky was on the British Beekeeping site months ago, he goes by the title finman.

Ya know, Finsky is one tuff nut to crack, yeah he knows his stuff but at times he could be very irritable, I tried to find some common ground with him, we emailed each other for a little while but the man can be cold blooded and belligerent and I just don't have the time for negativity.

As far as being chased off, he chased himself off, all on his own doing. I even offered to make peace by having a drink of vodka and he said he only drinks for special occasions, to each his own.

...JP

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2008, 04:59:10 pm »
Well, I WAS going to say hello, but I decided not to and leave well enough alone.
As soon as I clicked on the link there was a post by Finsky..In just a small paragraph, he managed to "Diss" Beemaster forums, which made me get a little warm on the neck.
Oh well,...I meant to do a good thing, but, like I said, I left well enough alone..Besides, I had to register anyways, so it wasnt worth it.

your friend,
john

Offline HEATHERNAY

• New Bee
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2008, 06:10:03 pm »
lol a disco...for bees.... well here in AZ we dont disco so much as we sit around a fire passing the peyote! eh anything for the bees!! lol  No, a bee hostes (I read about this somewhere...) is someone who will let a local beekeeper put one or two hives on their property and they maintain it as well....I thought maybe I could cheat and learn better that way. Im just so stressed that I'll mess up! Still having a hard time finding someone in town here and I know ive seen hives in the desert....Just gotta catch em at the right time I guess. Dont wanna get shot tho....nothing like desert hillbillies! It would be like "wrong turn" part 3!
This Finsky guy sounds like a real treat! He must have been the prodegy child in the group (teahers pet). I have to say...I used to beat those guys up.....

So, how many pepes do organic vs non-organic beekeeping?  Id like to do organic of course....
Tootles for now!
Heather

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2008, 06:59:14 pm »
John-

[Its more like "What I got away with".]

That is a priceless assembly of words.
When you 'feel' the change from "what I got away with" to "I've prevented [something]" or an instictive "I need to do [something]" you know you have grown.
You no longer feel a sense of relief from fear, but a sense of pride for accomplishment.

I think this is when you evolve from beehaver to beekeeper.
---------------------------------------

Sometime a hive inspection feels like the bees are laughing and saying, look "what we got away with".
Sort of like a brat child testing you. But you chuckle it off, knowing who has the upper hand.
---------------------------------------
Heather-

"desert hillbillies".... now that's just plain funny.
What do they hoard?
Old tire rims, snake skins, dead cow skeletons and wind-chimes made from beer cans?
Oh yeah, and all those re-treads from off semis trucks on the side of the road.

I know ive seen hives in the desert....Just gotta catch em at the right time I guess.
Or maybe the next time you are in the desert - drink more water - it maybe a mirage.
----------------------------------------

Offline HEATHERNAY

• New Bee
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2008, 07:07:37 pm »
NWIN BEEKEEPER

you  must have been here before! you hit the nail on the head!!!  dont forget the baby rattles made from rattle snakes!!!!  lol