Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Busy busy busy!  (Read 16632 times)

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
Re: Busy busy busy!
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2011, 11:21:36 am »
Really?  What's being learned or taught?  Its been reminding me of an old proverb for some time now;

"Give rest to your tongue more often than to your hands"

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2011, 11:32:31 am »
"Give rest to your tongue more often than to your hands"

thomas

LOL

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2011, 11:53:45 am »
People come from different backgrounds and have different viewpoints.  Readers get to choose which viewpoint t makes sense to them.  I think there is a lot to learn.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2011, 01:42:16 pm »

It's amusing how other people think they know more about how others operate than people doing the work there.  Who cares about facts when you have folks spreading misinformation?

It is amusing when somebody who's been on this forum for only a month or so is quick to denigrate members who have been here for far long over issues which they basically agree on.

Rather than a simple conversation discussing differences, this type of paragraph (which started it) builds rifts, not understanding.  I find it most unwelcome and causes the forum to be almost unreadable.

rdy-b, don't bother trying to feed the trolls....
Rick

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2011, 03:48:55 pm »
It is better to appear an idiot, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

You seem to like this phrase but let me tell you why is doesn’t work for me.  I know you don’t want to hear it but I’m gona tell ya anyway.  When you open your mouth and remove all doubt someone will be more than happy to tell you where you are wrong and take pleasure in it.  This happens especially on forums but will also happen in normal conversation.  My point is you have just picked that person’s brain, sucked every bit of information about the subject matter that he/she knows in an extremely short period of time.  They will go to all ends to prove you did or said something wrong.  The other option is to remain completely quiet and spend the time it takes to be accepted.  You hope along the way that the information you seek will come your way and you have not made the mistake of listening to the wrong person.  The fastest way to learn something is to become involved in a conversation and let your ignorance show.  It sometimes leaves you wide open for verbal abuse but I can assure you it is the fastest way to learn something.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2011, 03:54:59 pm »
Jeesh; I'm going out to visit my bees 8-)

thomas

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2011, 04:32:07 pm »
I've misplaced my viewpoints somewhere.... anyone seen 'em?   :-D

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2011, 05:00:19 pm »
People come from different backgrounds and have different viewpoints.  Readers get to choose which viewpoint t makes sense to them.  I think there is a lot to learn.

Acebird ...

I know you don’t want to hear it but I’m gona tell ya anyway. You need to learn from the bees not my viewpoint or chooses.....
 I know there is a lot to learn about bees.........

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 08:27:25 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2011, 05:17:44 pm »
You need to learn from bees

I hear them buzzing but I can't understand a word they are saying.  If it were that easy there wouldn't be beeks still learning 10-15 years down the road.  People learn from people or deductive reasoning.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2011, 05:36:02 pm »

I hear them buzzing but I can't understand a word they are saying.  If it were that easy there wouldn't be beeks still learning 10-15 years down the road.  People learn from people or deductive reasoning.

Try being quiet for a little while :-D

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2011, 09:45:12 pm »

If you can't hear what the bees are trying to tell you, you aren't looking hard enough.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2011, 11:25:25 pm »
It is amusing when somebody who's been on this forum for only a month or so is quick to denigrate members who have been here for far long over issues which they basically agree on.

How long someone has been a member is irrelevant to real world knowledge.  There is a big difference between a new forum member with actual real world knowledge, and someone who has been a forum member for a longer period of time, with no actual real world knowledge of what they are talking about, which is why they make preposterous claims that are outright lies.

Rather than a simple conversation discussing differences, this type of paragraph (which started it) builds rifts, not understanding.  I find it most unwelcome and causes the forum to be almost unreadable.

When people make comments that are flat out lies, it builds rifts, and not understanding.  I find it most unwelcome and harms forum quality.

My point is you have just picked that person’s brain, sucked every bit of information about the subject matter that he/she knows in an extremely short period of time.

When people possess true knowledge, you can't learn everything they know on a subject in a short period of time.

They will go to all ends to prove you did or said something wrong.  The other option is to remain completely quiet and spend the time it takes to be accepted.

What does acceptance have to do with anything?  Being accepted by others does not mean you are learning anything from them.

If someone tries to show everyone how ignorant they are, people will point out how they do not know what they are talking about.  If one shows a willingness to learn, only then can others teach them what they do not know.  There is a big difference between being shown your ignorance, and having someone teach you things that you did not know.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2011, 09:57:49 am »
When people possess true knowledge, you can't learn everything they know on a subject in a short period of time.
In a forum layout what they know it cast in print.  As a newbie, you can only absorb so much and that is dependent on the individual.  The individual can always refer back to the printed words and gain further knowledge.  In some cases it is best not to learn “everything they know on a subject”.  I think that fits very well with bees.

Being accepted by others does not mean you are learning anything from them.
My point exactly.

There is a big difference between being shown your ignorance, and having someone teach you things that you did not know.
Ah there is where you are wrong.  There are a multiple ways of learning.  You are trying to force your ways on someone else.  It doesn’t always work.  May work for you though.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2011, 10:20:59 pm »
"Like it or not, as in most endeavors, there are always some whose only motivation is maximum profit, little else matters.  Wall-Street is an extreme example (most of them care little beyond the days action or who was affected by their action) but beekeeping unfortunately, is not exempted from those same extremes some find neccessary to maximize profit.  We should not be surprized by human treatment of bees (or any other lifeform we deem inferior while in the pursuit of profit)"

And sometimes it's not about greed but just about keeping the operation alive for another year. As a small farmer married to a farmer, I know how tiny the red versus black margins can be.
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2011, 06:36:19 am »
Agreed; Been there, done that ;) cept, don't know what greed has to do with just surviving, the two don't seem to belong in the same sentence.

thomas
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:52:23 am by T Beek »

anything