Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mozilla Firefox problem  (Read 6955 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Mozilla Firefox problem
« on: December 21, 2008, 11:17:07 am »
Right about the end of the summer I started having problems with the Firefox browser. On Yahoo news or email it would stop and have to shut down. Then it seems that every other web site I go to the same thing happens.  I get those "send problem" windows. Since this started there has been several updates, but they don't help.

Has anyone else been suffering this problem?

I have windows XP.

The other internet browser doesn't have the problem, but it is slower than molasses.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Big John

• House Bee
Re: Mozilla Firefox problem
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 02:44:20 pm »
I don't know if this will help, but I had the same problem with windows Internet explorer, ended up having to call dell and get help from them. They recommended I install SUPERAntiSpyware it helped, after scans was run, the problem didn't completely get fixed until I change from Norton security to Windows Live OneCare security and ran scans, have not had problem since then.
"Semper Fi"

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 07:13:57 pm »
I'm a thinking it is caused mostly by the advertisements. Some web sites I may have open for awhile and the ads change periodically, and then suddenly there is that box saying firefox has encountered a problem and must close. And gives the choice to send error report.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 10:37:51 pm »
i haven't used firefox in years, but have had problems with the new exploder...er...explorer....on some sites.

try looking at  your security settings first and make sure they are where you want them.  then look at the list of blocked programs.  sometimes stuff gets blocked that you don't want blocked.  also look at your pop up setting and your block list for you pop-up blocker if you have one.

you are safe to clear all the blocked programs and start over. see if this helps....you also may have conflicts with your firewall security settings and firefox, or if you are running an adware program.

almost all of the programs that auto block adware and malware, have block list that they generate as you use the computer.  you can go through those lists to see if the sites you are having problems with are on the list, or you can delete the auto-generated list and let the program start over.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 10:43:07 pm »
Hey Jerry! Are you using an aircard?
 Sounds to me that your comp. is doing what mine does when i go over my 5 gig usage limit..I'm using a verizon aircard

your friend,
john

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 09:06:41 am »
Jerry,  go to "Tools" -> "add-ons" and click "Get Add-ons" and do a search for "Ad blocker"  Install the Ad blocker Plus tool and restart Firefox and see if this helps.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 12:19:08 pm »
It's actually called AdBlock Plus and can be installed from this link.  I also highly recommend No Script to
Allow active content to run only from sites you trust, and protect yourself against XSS and Clickjacking attacks.
.  Once you've got some sites built up it becomes almost invisible but protects well against hijacks.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 09:39:12 pm »
You know you're talking over my head.

After installing the Adblock there was a page of things to check. Was I suppose to check something?

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 10:36:06 pm »
Those are the filters that come with it.  They should all be checked to start out with.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 11:10:19 am »
On the page I was talking about there can only be one checked off. So I checked "easy list". It seems to be working. I'll let you know in a day or two. Thanks.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 05:36:23 pm »
I have not had any problems after installing the Adblocker.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 09:13:49 am »
:-)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 01:45:15 am »
After awhile I started having the problem again. Then when another failure came along I was told I needed to update my Windows XP. So while doing that I learn my son-in-law must have installed a pirated version the last time my PC was formatted. So $150+ later and I am legal and a few updates and things are running better than ever.

Let's see how long it last.  :roll:

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 12:13:05 am »
I do not use explorer. I have windows XP. Mozilla Firefox. As I under stand it, Mozilla Firefox has it's own blocker. I get no pop-ups, except  (Timed Out) Check your settings, Mine does best on default setting.
I use hotmail and Yahoomail.
I Google and wick-a-pedia
Terra Sever, and Bee master :roll: :)

When I find anything that causes a lock up, I don't use it any more.
I was using Internet checkers and kept getting lock ups, so I took it plumb out of the system.
I also found out if you use the same set up some one else has already used.
The computer will recognize it as (pirate, counterfeit,etc.)
Had to redo mine because of it.
Now-a-days My Machine and I are doing ok.
Getting ready for the snow that is supposed to hit Georgia tomorrow. :roll: :)doak

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 10:07:59 pm »
My problem was some web sights would cause my to mess up. After the restart It would then do OK with the same place. I got the Ad blocker and it worked fine for awhile and then started doing it again. Then when I was doing the thing with stashbox is when I got the thing saying I needed an update for XP for Firefox to work properly. Been doing great ever since.

Offline hive101

• New Bee
    • Hive 101
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 01:17:29 pm »
Right about the end of the summer I started having problems with the Firefox browser. On Yahoo news or email it would stop and have to shut down. Then it seems that every other web site I go to the same thing happens.  I get those "send problem" windows. Since this started there has been several updates, but they don't help.

Quite honestly, this is probably a Windows problem and not a Firefox problem.  I'd recommend a few things:

• Completely uninstall it and re-install the latest version of Firefox.
  • Do a Google search for "Firefox optimized for Windows XP". Firefox is cool because it's an open-source program, meaning anyone can take its code and improve upon it, and then re-distribute it.  There are dozens of 3rd party "builds" of Firefox that are optimized to run on a variety of different operating systems.  Because of copyright law, they can't call themselves "Firefox", but they all have nicknames like "Freebird" or "Moox" and are highly-reliable.
  • Or, alternatively, you can find ways to optimize Firefox yourself, which is not very hard and usually requires changing a few specific options in a text file.  (Think of it like turbo-charging your car.)  There's how-to's all over the Internet.  Optimizing will greatly speed up performance and stability.
  • Make sure your anti-virus and anti-spyware software is up-to-date and that you have it running at least once daily.  One of the first things that spyware, virii and trojans attempt to hijack is your browser (for obvious reasons).

Internet Explorer is the least-secure browser you can use, so I don't recommend it.  Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, or Safari are all much, much better.  Unfortunately, some web site developers are ignorant and lazy and only code their site for IE, and that might cause some browser issues for some people.  But I've seen a LOT more acceptance of Firefox and other browsers over the years, and now that Macs (which can't use IE) account for about 27% of all new computer sales, expect to see more web sites that "play nice" with other browsers. :)
Martin @ Hive101.com