Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Jericho - the TV Series  (Read 7623 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Jericho - the TV Series
« on: December 01, 2006, 11:28:24 am »
Just wondering if anyone follows this series? It will return with 11 new shows back to back starting in February Sweeps Month.

I enjoy the opening clues they give in Morse Code - some people don't even catch that small, seemingly minute' clues are given, but to us Morse code junkies, it is always a thrill to have an inside look at what the shows theme will be for that night.

The one complaint is, they make you work for it, the code is both hidden among the background music and also the letters are ran together to form one long word that makes it hard to catch without repeating it a few times. Not to leave out that the sender of the code is what we call in ham radio SLOPPY FISTED, he doesn't send sharp and distinct dots and dashes.

The plot is simple, the show starts at the beginning of what appears to be a nuclear war - we see in the distance many mushroom clouds and assume towns like Jericho were saved only because they were distantly removed from major cities.

We find that many characters aren't as simple as you average "hometown Joe" and even the ones we know are from Jericho have Back-stories that are just now being unleashed.

I think Jericho is well written, it follows one theme I enjoy watching, that is the need for Social Structure in a Chaotic world - the Mayor leads the people BECAUSE he is the only ELECTED person in the town - and as the series neared its Fall run, an election brought a new Mayor into the spot-light: a man with more mob mentality than common sense, but he too tries to do what he believes is right, even when his gut tells him it is easier to shoot and ask questions later. I can't wait for the Winter run, I think we will continue to see good plots, the writers haven't disappointed us yet!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Jericho - the TV Series
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 01:14:43 pm »
Yep. I watch this one also. Been thinking about how to reply to what you wrote.

I never paid much attention to the opening music. Didn't know there was Morse Code hidden in there. I also just watch the shows, not seek out more stuff about them on the net.

You are probably right when you said there was "the need for Social Structure in a Chaotic world". But I tend to think if this type of thing ever happened, you would be looking at situations more like the town they went to get the medicine from. The people, like some/most of the folks in Jericho, that aren't prepared mentally for this type of chaos will be run over.

Jericho is like so many other desaster movies, and I just don't understand it, they expect, wait for, want the government to come in and save them. At the risk of merging this with another topic I just wonder if anyone has a plan in place for such tragic events? A plan that doesn't include depending on someone else to save you.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 02:18:32 pm »
John, I think that it is cool that you are so intune to things that you can actually depict morse code sounds in the music and the visual part too.  That is pretty sensitive auditory and visual skills that you must possess.  Good for you.  I have an extraordinary sense of touch, smell, and hearing.  This is odd to live with.  When I am outside and the wind blows ever so slightly, I can even feel this moving the light hairs that are on my arms, it can be rather annoying at times.  But oh well, as my husband says, deal with it.   Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 03:27:41 pm »
Cindi:

Morse Code is an interesting language, nearly subliminal in nature. The fact of the embedded code is all over the net too, so I'm not the only to catch this and surely you will next time :)

Here are the messages I have copied so far:

JERICHO PILOT
Pray for NYC
There is a fire
JERICHO THREE
Rob not FBI
AOV Surprise - Area of Vulnerability (likely)
Jericho fallout
lightning/EMP
He knows Rob
The EMP Hits

The last few may be out of order, but these are the clues so far - ROB is the black man with the family who he is finally trying to get to know. Obviously he has PURPOSE where he is, safe from the major cities and now he is being manipulated by the powers he is working for.

Jerrymac

I surely know that in the world after a bomb, you would have a compound and enough explosives to blow yourself and anyone trying to capture it to dust. I can only imagine what your bomb shelter must look like  :roll: So when the only things that roam the planet after dooms day are cockroaches and Jerrymac, I wonder what the children will look like  :-D

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 05:04:05 pm »
people expect to be rescued because they have been taught to expect it.  if you want a whole dissertation on the disaster that is dependency, i can write about my experiences in LA after katrina/rita.

nature does not tolerate chaos.  we are not programed for it.  we have a system that allows us to choose leaders, but if we did not natural leaders would step up and be followed.  natural leaders would battle for dominance, with the majority willing to follow who ever came out on top.

those of us who are more independent minded, would hunker down with our well stocked pantry and our well stocked gun supplies, and do just fine.....

another really good show, and timely.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 09:39:09 pm »
John, hmm..so now I think that I will look at a little Morse code, just for the fun of it.  I don't understand what you are saying, ignorance is not bliss in my eyes.  I will do a little looking around.  Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 07:45:56 am »
I know this Topic is really old, but I dont feel like starting a new topic. 

Man, Beemaster, I wish I had been paying attention to the code at the beginning.  I just thought it was Hollywood throwing out some random CW just for effects.  :-)  Last week's Jericho they hinted that Rob was not FBI.  I kind of figured, but the truth is finally coming out.  But man, the clue was in CW the whole time!!!  I TiVO each episode.  I'm gunna have to break out the code tapes and brush up.  By the way Beemaster, I finally got my CSCE submitted today for my General upgrade!!!  Now I gota pick up a HF rig and start practicing my code on the air!

73's

W7SPK / AG

Sean
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 10:05:25 am »
I'm taping Jerico myself on my PC and the clues are helpful BEYOND the episode is it played on, it really is a big picture of the action going on in the series.

And Seasn, you really need to receive code to get good at it. There are a few good generators on the net (I'll post the one Josh and I use later here) you can copy and past RANDOM TEXT from web pages (say posts from the forum here) and then set the speed and try copying the message - you'll get really good quickly that way. Good luck and see you in HF some time :)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 10:20:31 am »
John,
When I talk about "On the air code practice" I mean copying live code, not sending.
All the old timers at my club keep telling me that nothing beats copying real conversations of other people.  It makes it more fun cause it's not computer generated random messages or some tape you've listened to over and over.  I guess it's more of an adventure on live radio.  I wouldn't even attempt to pick up a key until I knew I was ready.  I would have to use a code practice oscillator with someone else in person before plugging anything into my rig.  Don't want to be sloppy fisted.  :-)
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 03:16:55 pm »
There are indeed a lot of sloppy fists out there, it is an art form and everyone has a unique style. My rig has an auto keyer along with doxens of common sent messages - it feels like I'm hardly part of the experience letting the auto-sender transmit my call, location, etc.

A good mounted straight key is all you need until you get up around 30+, then a duplex really helps. The best practice is trying to send endless dots and dashes in streams at different speeds to "Muscle Memory" your wrist to the spacing, then all the dot and dash combos "L,q,y,f,r,z,k,p all let you switch - this is where you develope a code style, with your combo-letters and puctuations.

Yes, numbers are hard because you brain has trouble with 1-6, 2-7, 3-8, etc, iyour mind programs for letters and all of a sudden, an extra character is tossed in, putting up a roadblock.

Only last thought to copying, once you reach a steady 10wpm, put down the pen and listen to it, you should start hearing words in your head, not letters - by 13wpm you surely will.

I know you'll do good. But the online generator with copy and pasted forum posts id FAR FROM RANDOM and should be helpful, even though it is clean code, you can develop an ear for wrist later :)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 12:38:39 pm »
i am so bummed out about what happened on Jericho last nite  :-(
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 12:55:36 pm »
Yeah that sucked.

I thought last week, May 2nd episode, that Jericho was finally at the point they should have been at a day or two after the bombs went off. I kept cursing them out through th TV screen for being so unprepared from day one. Then last week was just way too late. Now it appears if they live through this latest stand off, they are gonna have some renegade army all over them.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 01:30:33 pm »
I taped Jerico last night - I didn't read Jerry's post after hearing Kathy's being bummed. I'll see it as soon as I get home from work at 3pm.

It is a good series, it reminds me of something else aired years ago, but sure can't remember what.

Has anyone seen PANIC IN YEAR ZERO with Ray Milland - old movie where a family heading home from vaction pulling their trailer vitnessed the mushroom cloud of a bomb ( I think in LA) they turned around and took up residence in a cave, dealt with hippies and even dealth with the daughter's rape (a touchy subject back in those day) with good old rifle justice. I haven't seen it in years, but a good movie all the same.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 07:04:52 pm »
I'm sad that last night was the season finale.  I've become so hooked on this show.  They left us with so many unanswered questions.  What's up with the new American flag?  And the train?  Was that from Newburn or from the new us army?  When will the next season start???  Oh man!

John, was the series you're thinking of that aired years ago The Stand?  That mini-series was so awesome too, had to buy it on DVD.

Sean

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 08:24:37 pm »
My wife likes Jericho and Lost. I am not into either one.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 08:44:08 pm »
i like your wife  :-).  two of my favorite shows.  does she like king and koontz also?

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 08:56:47 pm »
She likes koontz, never really read king.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 08:59:33 pm »
The message this week in code was "TO THE FLAG" and obviously we have SEVERAL armies forming - I don't think THAT one was the only since several people still hold claim to Presidency. Something tells me next season Jericho will be the battle Field for a CIVIL WAR from warring armies.

Sad to see the Dad go, I liked him in Promise Land a lot too. Rob sure is in a pickle, but he seems to be more than capable of pulling of anything. I think he plans to wreck the train with the tank on the track? I also image the Army will Airstrike Newbourne truck convoy and equal the playing flield a bit.

By the way, the Stand is NOT what I was thinking of, although I believe it one of the best made for TV movies of all times - I read the book many years before, and was moved to tears when Nicky Andross was blown up. It also wasn't Red Dawn either, although an unlikely movie, still pretty cool. I'll think of it :)

No idea when Jericho will start up  again, I'm waiting for Sci-Fi channel to record HEROES for me, I record 24 when it is on and record Heroes when it reruns a few nights later on Sci-Fi. That too is getting close to a cliff hanger, man the shows fly by fast, it seems it just came back on again.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 09:44:20 pm »
i had forgotten promise land.  it was good.  i liked simon and simon, and major dad.  in fact, he's been good in anything i have seen.  it will be interesting to see how they replace him.  they need that strong father figure type i think although the wolverines were kids.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 09:47:51 pm »
She likes koontz, never really read king.

if she likes koonts, she'd like some of kings mystery/fantasy stuff.  the dark tower series was really good for the pre-accident books, but fell flat at the end.  some of his stuff, like geralds game was not so great.  his really big stories like it and the stand, were masterpieces.