Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Splitting nucs  (Read 1120 times)

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Splitting nucs
« on: March 26, 2013, 08:46:26 pm »
Checked the status of some nucs today and I'm quite glad I did.  They are building fast!
Had to split 4 of them.
Had open queen cells in 2 of them and all frames had very little space that wasn't capped brood or honey.
These swarms are comb building machines!!! 
One has filled 9 frames in a med nuc that started with only 1 drawn comb, it was hived about 3 weeks ago.

Nothing more fun than swarm and nuc season.
Honey is also coming in fast so supering again next week before bud 5 so I don't miss out on this flow.

Wishing all a season like I'm having.
Bailey.
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Buzzen

• House Bee
Re: Splitting nucs
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 11:35:24 pm »
Wow. you're really going to town this year! Congrats on all the swarms, etc.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Splitting nucs
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 11:39:57 pm »
Yer livin the dream and I am dreading the day my nucs are promised!  I thought I was wintering well, but I have some thin hives that I planned on splitting the middle of April.  Hoping that Carnie brood explosion gets going any day!  Was a gorgeous day today and the bees were out looking for trailer house roof caulking or whatever they were bringing back for pollen.  Maybe them being out made the hives look so much less populated.  My hives had much bigger populations last year at this time, but we had no winter either.   Guess my need to worry about what I can't help is why I am not rich.

anything