Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hands off our Vegemite  (Read 76458 times)

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
Re: Hands off our Vegemite
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 09:04:34 am »
OK Annette you've had a couple of days to sort out your supply route, now have you tried it :roll: :?

Mick

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 01:09:09 pm »
OK Annette you've had a couple of days to sort out your supply route, now have you tried it :roll: :?

Mick

I have had to help my hubby get ready for a trip these past few days so everything in the world has been on hold. I have the flyer right here in front of me and I will go on line and figure it all out.  Hope the shipping isn't more than the product.  OH Well, I will do it anyway just to share a bit of the heaven with you dear Aussie folks.

I will let you know when it comes it. Could be a couple of weeks time.

Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 02:04:34 pm »
OK just ordered it and they will send it priority mail which means just a few business days. I will keep you posted.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 03:59:34 pm »
    Now we are talking y'all. Many a bloke likes to go to the Rubbedy Dub at lunch time for a Malt Sandwich in a 10 ounce glass.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Somerford

• House Bee
It's not as nice as MARMITE
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 01:56:14 pm »
vegemite is a yeast extract, it can be used even for stock cubes, mmmmmmmmm, but the greatest invention is vegemite soup, now mick, im not sur eif you have tried it before but its the bomb,, seriously man, it is similar to promite, marmite, etc etc, but obviously much better,, when i was travelling round europe, i had, 2 sets of clothes, a jumper, and my ipod and a big jar of vegemite, its like a girlfriend,, :P

Vegemite ? Errrughhhh Yuck Yuck Yuck. Been there, Tried it.

Now Marmite ? that's a different matter all together.

It built an Empire. Yum

God Save The Queen

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 04:26:08 pm »
Now Nette, when it comes in try a vegemite sanger. Get yourself a loaf of white bread.. has to be real fresh and spread some butter nice and thick. Then you take a bit of vegemite (not a heap) and smear it over the butter... then ya eat it... yum

Mick

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 11:34:24 pm »
Now Nette, when it comes in try a vegemite sanger. Get yourself a loaf of white bread.. has to be real fresh and spread some butter nice and thick. Then you take a bit of vegemite (not a heap) and smear it over the butter... then ya eat it... yum

Mick

Ok will do mate

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 01:08:58 am »
LOL!  This string brought back lots of memories.  I was even thinking of pikelets today.  I served two years as a missionary in Oz.  A favorite (or "favourite" to my Aussie mates) trick to play on the greenies (new missionaries) was to set them up by taking them to a co-conspirator's house telling them beforehand that it is rude and socially unacceptable to Aussies not accept and appear to enjoy food offered to them.  Next our Aussie mate would offer them a heaping teaspoon of "chocolate spread" (it does kind of look like Nutella)--heh-heh-heh...  After the victim chokes on an overdose of Vegemite, we'd further torture him by giving him a big glass of cordial--STRAIGHT to wash it down!  For all you other Yanks, cordial is a drink concentrated to a syrup that is mixed about 10/1 with water.  By the way, Mick, ever tried feeding it to the bees?  If any of youse (Aussie plural of you) are thinking of trying it, let me warn you, it is strong stuff.  A TINY bit spread on buttered toast is quite nice (once you acquire the taste).  Use too much and it will cure you from ever wanting another taste.  Think about what eating a beef boullion cube is like and you're close to what a big dose of Vegemite tastes like.  I heard an Aussie joke about Vegemite:  "if you spread it on a road, it's called "bitumen".  If you spread it on runways, it's called "tarmac".  If you spread it on toast, it's called Vegemite!" ;)

Kelly
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 01:22:05 am »
Kelly, some of my family members are LDS and have served on missions for two years in many parts of the world.  I suspect that you are involved in the same religion, good for you.  Not to be nosey or off topic, just wanted to make a nice comment.  Have that wonderful, most beautiful day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 04:43:10 am »
Hey Kel

Ya DONT joke about vegemite... see!  :shock:

Mick

Offline sas_marine@hotmail.com

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2009, 06:43:44 am »
ok, for you hardcore vegemite peoples, i have a receipe for you 2 try, do exactly as i say, now, get 2 peices of white bread only, a rip them into small peices, then get 1 table spoon of vegemite and 1 table spoon of butter and put on the top of your ripped up bread, now, boil the kettle, and pour in enough water until your bread starts to rise, after you have done this, stir the entire soupy contents around and then add a heavy amount of cracked black pepper on top, this is what our family calls vegemite soup,, and it looks a bit like spew and tastes similar, but if you like vegemite, its pretty darn nice, and easy to get addicted, this first taste is always a bit weird, but then youll wanna try just one more spoon full, then just one more and b4 you know it, its all gone, mmmmm, mmmm, yummy :P

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2009, 10:53:02 am »
http://www.smh.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/unhappy-little-vegemites-vent-their-fury-over-isnack-20-20090928-g997.html

I think the name lasted nearly a week before Kraft decided to change it again after printing zillions of labels.  Has anyone actually tasted this stuff?  I can't actually understand how vegemite can be improved upon or altered.

Nettie, we have a tradition here - no, a mandate, and it WILL be enforced - to gaily sing the vegemite ditty before tucking into our toast.  Here it is for your edification and study, so you are prepared for when the gleaming black gold arrives.
Vegemite (Australian ad) 1960s

Lone

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2009, 11:56:14 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite

spam, properly prepared, is quite good.   :-D

MMMmmm...spam good, we likes spam!  Keep a couple of cans in your pantry for power outages and stuff.  Drop it on the grill and make spamwiches.  I might just try some in my smoker next.

Okay, Annette, did it arrive yet?  If so, how did the taste test work out?

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2009, 04:22:41 pm »
Aaah, Lone that brings back so many fond memories.

I wonder what that little girl at the end is doing today. I bet she still enjoys her vegemite and that she still has a rose in every cheek

Mick

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2009, 08:24:51 pm »
If its good enuff for Mick, Its good enuff for me!! I'm gonna look at the site too!
It sounds as if it will give you gas!...I cant wait!!

your friend,
john

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2009, 08:36:29 pm »
I did it!! I got a case coming!
And....I bet it taste great in a Ritz!....I'll let you know what I think!

your friend,
john

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2009, 08:48:07 pm »
Hey Lone! That was a GREAT commercial!!!!...Something about old things makes me feel good! :-D

your friend,
john

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2009, 10:30:54 pm »
It hasn't arrived yet, but I am memorizing the song so I will be prepared. If it tastes anything like a bouillon cube, well then it should be tasty.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2009, 10:49:17 pm »
I can tell Johnny that you are really wanting to become an Aussie  :-D

Mick

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2009, 12:07:01 am »
Hey Lone! That was a GREAT commercial!!!!...Something about old things makes me feel good! :-D

your friend,
john

After watching that commercial I was really wondering if there is more to this Vegemite stuff than just yeast.... :devilbanana:

...that might explain some of the addictiveness.. :)
Rick