Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Winterizing hives in western NY  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Frgrasso

• New Bee
Winterizing hives in western NY
« on: October 18, 2014, 12:50:09 pm »
Any advise ? I have 2 hives going into winter
Both were very strong this year , even tho
One was a late June swarm & the other was
A nuc I bought in mid July , I have 2 deeps
In each hive & they packed the top deep
With honey on every frame , I just want them
To make it through the winter

Offline hilltophermit

• House Bee
Re: Winterizing hives in western NY
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 08:14:46 am »
Mr. Frgrasso,
I have kept bees here in western NY for a good many years. For a successful overwinter I feel the following should be done. A wind break.reduce the entrance to a minimum. Mouse guard. Hives up off the ground, and most important ventilation. My observations / experience tells me most bees here are lost in the late winter / early spring when the snow pack is wet, the heavy sleet and the ice cold driving rains come down. The air is very wet and heavy and if the bees cannot expel the excess moisture they cannot keep the hive warm. My Hives are 16 to 18 inches off the ground. If / when i rebuild the stands I will put hem a full 2 feet up. I have a 5/8 inch hole in the front, center above  the hand hold in every super. My inner covers are notched at the front. The outer covers fit loosely or are propped up slightly. I drill 3 Small holes in the back bottom of the bottom board. Over the years sometimes i have wrapped, others not. I do not believe there is any difference in the survival rate. I have used tar paper, tar paper with straw packing, store bought bubble wrap, and the garbage bag method. If and when i wrap again, it will either be the tar paper, alone, or the bubble wrap. One unfortunate aspect of beekeeping is winter losses. For your own piece of mind i suggest you do all you can for If you loose a hive you will question weather you have done enough. If you do wrap, pay close attention that you do not cut off the ventilation. best of luck!

Offline hilltophermit

• House Bee
Re: Winterizing hives in western NY
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 09:30:48 am »
If you will, search "western ny honey producers" this is a fine organization, in your area that can provide you with information and mentoring. I am not a member but i do receive their e mail newsletter.

anything