Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee yard swarm  (Read 3058 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Bee yard swarm
« on: April 22, 2012, 01:07:16 pm »
Not really a removal but....
We dropped off the bees from the smoke out we did the other day and were lucky enough to be there when a swarm moved in. We watched it come in from the south across a cow pasture and move in to an empty double nuc with drawn frames on one side. What a beautiful sight! I'll never tire of watching swarms!!

Bee yard swarm.wmv

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
Re: Bee yard swarm
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 01:54:34 pm »
that is sumtin special.. bettr get a deep right there quick.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 02:45:19 pm »
Went back the next day and put them in a double deep.......tons of bees! Since they had taken up in a box with drawn comb they had already filled the comb with the honey they had brought with them. They are starting out with 5 full frames of honey!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 03:06:49 pm »
That was cool.  What is the deal with the FL# on the top bar?

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 03:21:10 pm »
I think it is his Florida registration number.

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 09:36:19 pm »
Really cool video.  I can't wait to be in the middle of a swarm in action like that. 
Hopefully the action I see will be into a hive and not out of one.   :-D

James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 10:12:50 pm »
Florida has a few rules about bees and numbers.     and queens.    and swarms.      :-D

Good looking swarm.  It is great when the swarm comes to you.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 10:33:46 pm »
"Of course I can hear them, I'm standing right in the middle of them!" Classic stuff right there my friend.

Awesome footage & swarm!

Glad you had the camera rolling.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 10:13:40 pm »
It's so cool that you two can be around bees as often as you are and still get such a thrill from an experience like this one...totally wonderful.

-Liz
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 12:39:37 am »
This was totally awesome, thrilling, exciting. I had a swarm move into one of my empty hives last spring and I wonder if it looked like this when it came in.  That was super fun to watch.

Thanks Scott

Annette

anything