Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ridding small hive beetle  (Read 5044 times)

Offline Termite.sv

• New Bee
Ridding small hive beetle
« on: May 24, 2015, 11:21:17 pm »
Hi all.
Yesterday I was doing a thorough hive inspection because I thought my hive was about to swarm. I found the queen (yay) but no queen cells. What I did find though is about 3 small hive beetles. I only say 3 in total but I'm assuming there is more. I've also heard they breed like mad so I'd like to jump on the problem before it gets to big. What do I have to do to get rid of the hive beetles before it turns into an infestation?
Thanks for any help.
Smoke bees every day

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Ridding small hive beetle
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 11:33:44 pm »
Wow, only 3 SHBs. That is pretty good. They only breed in a hive that weak for the size of the hive. Also if the bees have no genetics for dealing with the SHB. Like when the wax moths first came to the U.S., a lot of hives were lost until the bees found the right genetics to deal with them.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Termite.sv

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 05:40:15 am »
Is the Italian honey bee good at dealing with SHB? I've had the hive since October last year and I only say the three beetles last year. In that case would it be safe to assume they only just recently got there? I'm going to put a few traps in the hive before the numbers build up, any kind of trap that works best?
Smoke bees every day

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 05:50:52 am »
Are you in Australia Termite?

Offline Termite.sv

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 06:28:13 am »
Yes I'm in Australia
Smoke bees every day

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 06:49:08 am »
Mate you need to talk to beekeepers in your area and get advice from them.  There are lots of options for SHB.  Depends if you want to go the chemical or organic way.  I use Apithor which may be an option for you if you only have a few hives.  The problem you have in the far north is that beetles would be active almost all year round. All of the traps work.  You need to keep your hives strong and uninhabited space at a minimum.  Can I also suggest that you look a the QLD or NSW DPI websites for beekeeping and follow their advice.  Beware of random advice form the northern hemisphere.  Trust the locals.  Yanta

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 06:51:46 am »
Three beetles are not a problem by the way

Offline Termite.sv

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 07:55:51 am »
Three beetles are not a problem by the way
I agree, a small ammount in no problem, but I've seen some messed up frames. Eaten out and contaminated with SHB larva and their waste in large numbers. There is a bee hive at the high school I attend that has problems with SHB. It smells like rotting citrus. Figured I'd jump on the problem while it's still small  :cheesy:

I've got a beetle blaster trap in the super, I'll install one in the brood box. Ill do some reaserch on Apithor.
Thanks heaps Yanta, Ill certaintly check out QLD DPI beekeping website.
Smoke bees every day

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 08:22:00 am »
I dont know if AJ Beetle traps are still available but they were great. There are others that are similar in design and you can control the hive beetles without using chemicals.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 06:52:24 am »
The best way to handle SHBs is with screen bottom boards (SBB) and an oil tray. If the bees knock the SHB down it falls in the oil and dies, if the bees remove a larva or egg, it ends up in the oil and dies. If the larva develops it leaves the hive, falls in the oil and dies. I have killed thousands per month per hive whit them and seriously reduced the beetle problem here. When I started using them, the trays would bee solid black with SHB every month. I had to clean them every 30 days.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 07:50:11 pm »
Termite check out my photos half way down page 2 of this thread http://www.beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=35543.20

Only time the numbers rose above one or two was when the bees sealed over the mesh and I had to clear some of it from under neath with a stiff wire bush (not really satisfactory but gave temporary relief) Good thing is it also catches the grubs

I also treat the soil under and around the hives with a Lawn Grub killer well raked in and watered (rain usually)
David L

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 07:29:22 am »
SHB have been bad here from the time the weather got warm and moist.
I check the traps regularly ( about every 2 to 3 weeks during the season) and only use DE.
Have not lost a hive this season - so far!
Traps are important but I find that having good gear with NO gaps where the SHB can hide is equally important...and select for hygienic queens!

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 02:11:02 am »
3 beetles is nothing to stress about - as most have said they only impact on weak hives where they can lay eggs etc. The best method that I've found for dealing with small hive beetle is some chux superwipe sitting on the top bars. The bees chew it up a bit and the beetles run in to it and get caught - you do lose a couple of bees (<10 in my experience) as well sadly though but it's cheap and very effective.

anything