Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Would this work for a TBH?  (Read 4194 times)

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Would this work for a TBH?
« on: November 04, 2005, 06:41:46 pm »
I'm almost done building my TBH and I jsut want to know how to populate it.  So far I've made top bars with starter strips of foundation (just abou 2cm long, running the length of the bar) and built the body with attached legs.  Anyways, I"m hoping to shake about a quarter to half of my Italian colony just before swarming season in February or March.  My other idea is to make a nuc with a split, let it grow for a while on the spot where the TBH would be kept and than, after they reach a good size shake them all into the TBH and leave it there for returning foragers.  I understand the second technique would be less stressful but, I just want to shake them in so they start building comb right away.  By the way, they're Italians so comb building is their thing.  I would just like some imput on which technique would work better in your opinion.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Would this work for a TBH?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 08:36:16 pm »
I would do one of two things. assuming you don't want to buy a package.  Either do the shaken swarm with a queen, or make one "swarm catching frame" where you can put some comb with brood in the frame and then do the shaken swarm.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin