Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Goats and Bees  (Read 11555 times)

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
Goats and Bees
« on: September 10, 2011, 10:54:44 pm »
Hey, Everyone!  I was hoping to get input from folks that have both bees and goats.  My reason for asking is that my apiary is out in the back field and mowing is an issue.  I keep coming back to the idea of goats, but I know they are climbers so am worried about hives toppling over.

I was wondering what input you all had or if you had any ideas. 

Thanks!

Offline Riggs

• House Bee
Re: Goats and Bees
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 09:15:08 am »
I have both with no problems. The goats learn pretty quick where they can go and where they can't. I had one young goat jump on top of a hive once, oddly enough, he didn't seem interested in staing there long. ;)
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another. ~
Ernest Hemingway

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 10:15:39 am »
i'm sure riggs is right about the goats learning, but i'd be worried they'd push over the hives.  same problem with cows.  they love to rub.  if you put goats out there i think i'd run a hot wire around the hives. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Riggs

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 09:59:45 am »
Cows, yes, but I really don't think you will have any trouble with goats, especially if you get a smaller breed. I raise larger breeds (Boers & Nubians) and have never had a problem. That being said, a hot strand or two will sure keep them away.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another. ~
Ernest Hemingway

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 10:27:22 am »
Thanks, guys!  I'll give it some more thought, then.  Hadn't factored in rubbing.   I had hot wired the apiary originally for that very reasons because I have cows already.  Don't know that I want to add a second hot wire fence.  I would definately consider a smaller breed, since I do not have fond memories of big goats as a child.  I guess I was hoping they would learn to stay clear of the hive, but it might still be worth the experiment.

Offline Riggs

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 11:12:42 am »
Mine rarely get close enough to bother the bees, but my bees are pretty calm too.
Ernest Hemingway

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 12:45:11 pm »
Mine rarely get close enough to bother the bees, but my bees are pretty calm too.

That's actually good news!  I'd hate to know that the only hives the goats stay clear of would be the nasty bees!  That woudn't be fun for anyone...

You raise larger breeds but your raise boers?  Remember, I'm new to the goat thing, but I thought they were a smaller breed?  At least, the ones I see around here are smaller.  Are there varieties of Boer?  Or is it that I've only seen the youngsters?

Offline Riggs

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 05:51:59 pm »
My guess is that you are seeing younger goats, my billy (a full blooded Boer) weighs around 175 lbs. That's him between my kids, he is very gentle.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

They are incredibly smart and very entertaining to watch.
I have way more experience with goats than bees, if I can help you at all let me know.
Ernest Hemingway

Offline treebee

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 09:29:16 am »
Over the summer we ran our 9 nubians in our  7 hive river yard to work down the overgrowth. Never had any problem, I only have problems with the goats when they get bored. If there is plenty of browse and some tree/shrubs around they likely won't want to play with the hives. John H.
Relax, step back, take a deep breath, the finger you save just might be your own!

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 05:42:36 pm »
We have pygmy goats, and they love to head-butt anyone, or anything they can get to.  Somehow I don't imagine the bees liking their condos being head-butted.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 10:03:47 pm »
We have pygmy goats, and they love to head-butt anyone, or anything they can get to.  Somehow I don't imagine the bees liking their condos being head-butted.

LOL! That made me think that I can't imagine the goats getting their heads stung!
Rick