Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees at High Altitude  (Read 1815 times)

Offline web-collage

• Brood
Bees at High Altitude
« on: August 12, 2011, 02:36:51 pm »
I have ordered a Nuc for April 2012 from a large local beekeeper. They are Carniolans who he says winter over well at this altitude (7000'). I have read a bee book and hope to learn more before the bees arrive. Local beekeeper also says he doesn't give extra feed, but makes sure the bees have enough honey to last the winter. Bees will exist mostly on wild and native plants growing in SW Colorado. Any thoughts or advice? Oh, and I plan to paint the hives and supers in lovely colors of salmon, periwinkle, blue, and yellow. Why not.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Bees at High Altitude
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 02:40:27 pm »
I had them at 7,200 in Laramie.  It's not the altitude so much as the bitter cold that's hard on them.  The strong ones do fine.  I would not try to overwinter nucs at that altitude, or at least I would experiment on a small scale until you think you have a workable system.  I don't know what you get, (or where you are other than "hoplessly lost") but we would get -40 F typically for a few days to a couple of weeks most winters.  It takes a certain amount of bees to survive that.  Small hives did not.  Larger clusters did.  I would do combines in the fall with any "dinks" to insure you have strong hives going into winter.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:32:50 am by Michael Bush »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 07:15:25 pm »
Welcome to the forum. 

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 11:17:07 pm »