Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New shed and chicken coup  (Read 7175 times)

Offline watercarving

• House Bee
    • John Call Designs
New shed and chicken coup
« on: January 04, 2009, 03:54:15 pm »
Built a new shed and chicken coup. All working towards growing more of our own food. Links here:

Shed
http://www.johncall.com/blog/new-shed/

Chickens
http://www.johncall.com/blog/chickens-new-coup/
--------------
www.johncall.com - adventures in woodcarving and country life.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: New shed and chicken coup
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 05:09:11 pm »
I like the looks of it. Looks old and rustic.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 07:05:37 pm »
Very nice!  Great idea for the rainwater!  Always looking for dog kennel panels, they are great!  I would put 1/2" chix wire up on the inside cause if you ever have chicks they can go right through! Weasels & rats too.  Been there, done that!  It's easy to stretch & wire it right in, or even use the larger Jclips.  Would be nice to be able to stand upright in the ladies house!  Good Job!
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 08:33:48 pm »
WC

Like your shed.  I'm at the bottom of the mountain from you so to speak, Rome/Calhoun.  I once used rainwater to water some of my chicks, but they contracted Botulism from it and died.  So if you do use the rainwater for chickens, don't use for chicks or add a little bleach to it.  I use rainwater for chickens and plants now, beats carrying it from the house 100 yards.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 06:02:19 pm »
Hey water! Looks like you got some good stuff goin on!
Makes me wanna start a project!!
your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 11:23:17 pm »
WC

Like your shed.  I'm at the bottom of the mountain from you so to speak, Rome/Calhoun.  I once used rainwater to water some of my chicks, but they contracted Botulism from it and died.  So if you do use the rainwater for chickens, don't use for chicks or add a little bleach to it.  I use rainwater for chickens and plants now, beats carrying it from the house 100 yards.

Oh Stephen, I missed this thread.  What a nasty thing that botulism is...I heard on this forum that others have lost their dogs from this horrible thing when they rooted in the compost piles.  That freaks me right out.  I would imagine that a teeny tiny little bit of chlorox would work in the water to kill any botulism, I would like to know more about that though, beautiful day in this great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 08:53:35 am »
i started dong that -- chlorox.  but if you get too much the chicks shy away from it.  i thought about using vinegar instead.  i clean hummingbird feeders with it.  you don't want to kill the gut floral of your chicks, because that leads to other sickness.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 12:56:48 pm »
Stephen, there is such a fine line with the necessary bacteria for surely. I know when we take antibiotics we always replenish the good bacteria that has been killed with acidophilus (and the other probiotics that are included in the pills), that is a given and a must when using antibiotics.  I think that a teeny tiny bit of chlorox/bleach would go a really long, long ways, like maybe a teaspoon to a 50 gallon rain barrel or something like that.  I wish that someone here knew what ratio of bleach to water would still be good and not kill off the good bugs in the gut of critters.  Maybe someone will notice this and chime in, smiling.  Have that most wonderful and awesome day life, love this life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 01:12:06 pm »
Whoa... that isn't a coup...there is only one door! :roll:

To be a coup it needs to have 2 doors!  One door means that it is only a coop....
Rick

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 06:41:11 pm »
Whoa... that isn't a coup...there is only one door! :roll:

To be a coup it needs to have 2 doors!  One door means that it is only a coop....

A coupe had 2 doors a coop has one door.   I've broken ground on my new chicken house, I'm building a 10X20 building that resembles an old stable with the hay loft in the center.  One stall 10X10 is the chicken coop with the center 10X5 as the feed/brooder/incubator room and the opposite stall  10X5 a divided pigeon pen.  Got the form in, need a break in these morning snow flurries before laying the cement, then bup goes the framing.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 11:07:16 pm »
Brian, wow!!!  That is one enormous undertaking, are you doing it all by yourself, or you got some help?  That is a pretty big structure, and in my mind's eye, looks so ding dang cool.  Wow.  I do so surely hope it is in the cards that I can get down to your house sometime this summer.  You know that I would love to come down and visit.  I still think that we should think a little bit about having a bbq at your place, I would, for one, love to come, and I bet a bunch of others would too.  Thinking....thinking....keeping things on the back burner.  Be careful when you are doing the building, watch that back of yours, friend.  Have that most wonderful and great day, Cindi

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 01:26:58 am »
Brian, wow!!!  That is one enormous undertaking, are you doing it all by yourself, or you got some help?  That is a pretty big structure, and in my mind's eye, looks so ding dang cool.  Wow.  I do so surely hope it is in the cards that I can get down to your house sometime this summer.  You know that I would love to come down and visit.  I still think that we should think a little bit about having a bbq at your place, I would, for one, love to come, and I bet a bunch of others would too.  Thinking....thinking....keeping things on the back burner.  Be careful when you are doing the building, watch that back of yours, friend.  Have that most wonderful and great day, Cindi

No, I'm not building by myself, I'm still trying to get over the pneumoia that decided to give me a 2nd go around.  I hire a young, energetic, young man with building experience to do all the hard work.  He can do all those things I no longer can.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 12:14:56 pm »
Ah, Brian, I wondered how your health as, hadn't seen you around too much lately.  So good that you have someone that you can lean on to do the building that you can't do, I bet you can put some very nice finishing touches on things though, smiling.  You have had 2 bouts of pneumonia, that is a royal bummer for sure!!!  Hope your health gets better.  Have that wonderful, most awesome day, health.  Cindi

anything