Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Big Storm coming - Need Answers Quick  (Read 10420 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Big Storm coming - Need Answers Quick
« on: January 03, 2008, 02:30:57 pm »
Hi Dear People,

As most of you already know, a very big storm is approaching the west coast. We are expected to have winds up to 50MPH here in Placerville.

Well, I never experienced winds like this here, and I am concerned about the bee hives and how well they will do in these winds.

I placed 6 bricks on top of each hive, closed up the SBB (to reduce the wind on them) and that is it.

Will they be OK with just the 6 bricks on top. I know in hurricane winds, some people strap down the hives. This is not hurricane winds, I don't think.

Please respond ASAP while there is still time to do something more.

Thanks
Annette

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Big Storm coming - Need Answers Quick
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 02:44:38 pm »
That sound pretty good. How high of the ground is your hives? How big are the hives(how many boxes)?

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 02:46:05 pm »
do you have a wind break between the expected direction of the wind and your hives? 50mph is a pretty strong wind but not exceptional for some of us. good luck

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 02:47:17 pm »
i have these winds often.  about 30lbs on top of each hive usually does me in 50 mph winds.  things to consider:  from which direction is the wind coming?  is the temp going to be low?  will there be rain with the wind?  is there anything around that might crash on your hive.

wind from the side can lift the hive top if there is no overhang.  low temps and wind are deadly.  if you can in some way block or insulate (maybe cardboard and duct tape) it will help.  wind and rain can blow under cover and wet the inside of your hive.  

you can close the bottom of the hive with the SBB insert, or some cardboard.  duct tape will temporarily seal the top of the hive.  your entrance reducer should be sufficient for the front.  you don't want to suffocate them.  :-)

a note for you....STAY INSIDE while the winds blow.  a piece of tin roofing blowing through the air will slice off you head as surely as a jihadists sword would.  once the wind starts, the critters are on their own!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 02:49:43 pm »
I have one cinder block on my hives and they have made it through 70.... yes 70 mph winds while stacked four deeps high. And they are out in the wide open. no wind break
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 02:55:14 pm »
Annette,

You're good to go. A wind break, bricks on top and the Bee Glue inside will hold up well. I believe it was Jerrymac who gave me the same encouraging words last year when I had the same concerns  :-D

BH

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 03:03:06 pm »
The wind will hit them from the side - south, south west . I have telescoping covers on both hives. 6 bricks on each. The temperatures will be in the 40-50 range. There will be rain also. I went up and cleared everything away that could possibly hit them.

They are sitting on extremely heavy, durable tables that are about 18" off the ground. These tables were special made for me and the hives actually sit down in the table into a groove so the hives cannot slid.  The hives are 3 medium supers each. I closed up the SBB with the inserts. They have good ventilation with the 4" reducer on the bottom and a small top side entrance.

I do not have any wind break around the hives. Last year I had haystacks, but they fell apart this year.

I think I covered everything you are all asking me.

What do you think?

Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 03:07:31 pm »
I have one cinder block on my hives and they have made it through 70.... yes 70 mph winds while stacked four deeps high. And they are out in the wide open. no wind break

This is encouraging and so is beehopper's response. Thanks also to PDMattox and Randy.

Just no windbreak. 

Thanks so much for help. I just love how quickly all you people come together to help so fast. This response was amazing.
I will keep you posted.
Kathyp, yes I plan on staying inside.

Sincerely
Annette

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 03:22:35 pm »
Sounds like you got them secured well. Good luck.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 07:38:53 pm »
The rains have just hot here Annette...we are getting the same 3 systems here on the Central Coast...Santa Cruz Mountains could be hit hard...I am hunkered down, so are the bees I hope!

Offline ElDoBill

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 08:00:51 pm »
Annette, I have a concrete block on top of my telescoping cover, but I left the SSB open.  If you recall I have a rather large granite rock to the windward side of the hive which will block the wind up to about 2 1/2 feet. Let's hope all of our hives survive intact.   

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 08:37:49 pm »

I use 2 red bricks on my hives.  They held together until sustained winds hit 80mph with gusts to 95mph then they blew over.  Minimal wind break=picket fence.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 08:39:30 pm »
I have cobblestones in the yard, so there's two on each hive top.  It would take one heck of a wind to knock them off, they're solid granite blocks!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 08:56:28 pm »
The rains have just hot here Annette...we are getting the same 3 systems here on the Central Coast...Santa Cruz Mountains could be hit hard...I am hunkered down, so are the bees I hope!

Good Luck to you also. We should be ok.

If my power goes out, (which it usually does with high winds) I will be in touch when I can.

Annette, I have a concrete block on top of my telescoping cover, but I left the SSB open.  If you recall I have a rather large granite rock to the windward side of the hive which will block the wind up to about 2 1/2 feet. Let's hope all of our hives survive intact.   

Bill, You might want to close up the SBB when the high winds come. I remember that granite rock, but I never heard of winds here at 50MPH. That is something unusual.

Annette

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 09:02:55 pm »
See how different places are. I think nothing of 50 mph winds. They always happen. Around here you pretty much think about the wind in everything you do. Like don't leave your lawn chairs out. Put up the swimming pool floats. Be sure your mail box is closed tight. Just little things or you might find your stuff a mile away caught in the weeds..... if you're lucky.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 09:59:53 pm »
The winds really wreck havoc around here. Always no electricity due to downed trees. We have pretty mild weather conditions around this area except for the intensely hot summers.

I am probably over reacting, but thought I should take precautions.

Annette

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 10:21:51 pm »
Sounds like you are set.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 01:16:01 am »
HERE  in the central valley of Ca 50mph winds near the river here is not un common even in summer. I have the garage that will block most of the west to east winds but nothing from north to south winds.

Angi

Offline tig

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 07:34:41 am »
you sound pretty set up.  as long as they are off the ground so theres no water build up and you have those 6 blocks on,....you should be safe enough.  my hives went thru a category 5 hurricane with just on block on top and they also had telescoping covers.  they were 18 inches off the ground with one super on top and there were no casualties.  goodluck with the storm and be safe.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 11:39:31 am »
Annette, I see your last post was around 9:00 last night.  That would be forum time, you are in the same time zone as me, so that would have been 6:00 P.M.

How did thing work out with your hives, by the sounds of it you were well prepared.  Good.  Hope all went well and your mind is relieved.  Have a wonderful, great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 02:58:06 pm »
We are having quite the rain storm here...so far I still have power, it is dark outside...went out to the hive to fortify the little makeshift roof I made...poor little things are stuck inside today...boo hoo

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 03:44:36 pm »
So far I still have power. The winds are tremendous so I expect the power will go out at any time.The power is out right now in many parts of Sacramento.  Right now I am more worried for me than the bees. There are branches coming down and hitting the sides of my house and I have a house that is mostly windows.

Thinking positive thoughts and staying upbeat, so far.

Annette

Offline Casimir

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 10:31:20 pm »
Power is out for me. My neighbor had a tree crash through her fence from the winds and part of my fence in the back fell over. Luckily my hives have windbrakes around them, but I think they are dead anyways. :'(

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 10:40:51 pm »
The winds have died down now. Just rain. I think the worst is over. Many outages around here, but I remained with electricity and did not notice any damage.

I am sorry for the people without power and lots of damage.

Casimir, why do you think your bees are dead???

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 10:44:06 pm »
Brian,
Did you lose any of the hives that went over? Good luck, wishing the best for all of you out west.

DennisB

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 10:46:18 pm »
I'm in LA and it is raining like hek right now really raining.
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 10:48:21 pm »
Brian says we have more storms coming this way. Hope they are not like this one.

Annette

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2008, 12:15:21 am »
But it never rains in California

It pours

Offline Casimir

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2008, 06:17:46 am »
A million people without power in northern California and now interstate 80 is closed. Luckily I got power back a few hours ago (my previous post was done at a friends house.)
Annette, I believe that my bees are dead because both of my colonies populations have declined dramatically recently and I fear that the are both dead. I will have to check them after the storm. Here is a link when I asked for help when one colony suddenly declined.
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=12359.msg84311#msg84311 (both of my hives population have now gone down.)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2008, 10:48:08 am »
Holy Moses that was one crazy a** storm!  Today will be clean up...I am grateful that no trees came down on my property...criminy sakes alive!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2008, 01:40:56 pm »
I was truly lucky. Hardly any damage beyond downed branches. Power remained on throughout, although much of Placerville was without. My home sits in a sort of valley with mountains around and I believe that is why I did not get hit that hard.

The bees are in a different place on top of a high knoll where they had much damage to trees. They are, of course, fine.

Hope all is well for everyone.
Annette

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2008, 03:43:50 pm »
Glad to hear everything is OK. It is amazing to see what a little wind will do :shock:

Offline ElDoBill

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2008, 04:11:04 pm »
No damage to my hive or bees, had a few limbs down but nothing near the bees.  The next one is supposed to be here this afternoon, less wind more rain. 

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2008, 07:57:28 pm »
You all in a mud slide area?

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2008, 08:07:29 pm »
I am not in an area like that. That is several miles up the road where they always have mud slides.

Thanks for asking
Annette

Offline tig

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2008, 08:09:34 pm »
i'm glad to hear all of you are well!  that must have been frightening for everyone involved.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2008, 08:17:13 pm »
Sorry I am late in responding. It looks like you have gotten some good advice. I will say that for hurricanes I use aircraft cables and soil anchors. I then bolt the cables to the ground anchors and the hives. I use plumbing straps and wrap that around the hives. My hives are pretty secure that way.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2008, 08:19:26 pm »
I saw how you did this on some photos you posted. I just did not know if I had to go that far in protecting them.

Thanks for the good wishes
Annette

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2008, 08:35:55 pm »
Annette's hometown team wins:  :-D

Bees: 1
Storm: 0

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2008, 09:47:20 pm »
But it never rains in California

It pours

Jerrymac

I always laugh at your posts even if I do not reply. You have a unique sense of humor.

Annette

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2008, 04:01:12 am »
Jerrymac
I always laugh at your posts even if I do not reply. You have a unique sense of humor.
Annette

Thank you.

You do know that song don't you?

Albert Hammond___It Never Rains in Southern California
Check out the bell bottoms. Use to love those things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KjF58a6V_s&feature=related

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2008, 10:43:30 pm »
Of course I know that song. He is very cute too!!

Thanks
Annette

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2008, 11:28:01 pm »
Brian,
Did you lose any of the hives that went over? Good luck, wishing the best for all of you out west.

DennisB

I had to start over with 4 packages this past spriing.  I teh made splits, gave 2 hives to my brother and still have 4.  At least until I check them again when the weather warms up a tad.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything