Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees in Tree  (Read 1583 times)

Offline uglyfrozenfish

• House Bee
Bees in Tree
« on: February 15, 2011, 03:13:25 pm »
Hello,
I posted this in the general section before seeing this forum so I thought I would ask here also.
My grandpa has a tree he wants to cut down.  This tree is about 30-40 foot tall half dead tree with a thriving bee colony.  I tried to trap them last fall by reducing their main access and providing box with brood.  It didn't work.  There are too many holes in the tree to seal it up.  I have a bee vac.  I am planning on cutting the tree down and using the bucket on a tractor to gently lower tree to ground(hopefully not crushing any of the girls).  I am thinking of doing this in the early spring mid-late march and feeding them until the trees start blooming. 
I am wondering if anyone has any advice, different strategies warnings etc.  I have never tried this and am looking foreward to the experience, and hoping to be successful. 

Thanks
Lee

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Bees in Tree
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 04:00:43 pm »
It should work fine. Anytime after the first 70 degree day should work.
Tie the brood comb into the frames, but not the honey combs. They are too heavy and messy. You can feed it back to them by setting it out 50 to 100 feet from the hive.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*