Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Removal Costs  (Read 6293 times)

Offline Pete

• House Bee
Swarm Removal Costs
« on: September 14, 2010, 12:27:03 am »
I am curious how people handle money and swarm removals. I placed my name on the list and listed my self as no cost, unless complex etc.

I am conscious that exchanging money creates a contract and that comes with obligation and liability (not ideal, but its reality). It also comes with accounting obligations if you want to be really strict.

So not wanting to turn my hobby into another job, I can already see that sometimes there will be costs incurred by me that are beyond my normal every day costs.

Do some of you ask for some petrol money, or hive material money, as a donation. Does a donation get around any potential legal prickliness?

To be clear, my main aim to pursue my hobby for fun and occasionally cover some of my direct costs. I definitely dont need another job or a small business!

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Re: Swarm Removal Costs
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 01:09:15 am »
After knocking back a cut out today, I was thinking of the whole liability issue. I have been trying to squeeze a bit of money out of the cut-out jobs and had not considered at all the things that go along with it.

I essentially look at it from the point of view it may cost me money in petrol and materials not to mention anything from 1 hour up to 6 hours of my time. Say if I ask for $50 to cover my costs and time, really they are getting off real cheap.

What legal implecations are there if you accept money?

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 04:44:56 am »
What legal implecations are there if you accept money?

If you do a service for a fee there are many implications. You will be personally liable for damages for starters...in todays world that can be a big thing.

However, I think if you asked some to cover your petrol costs that might be different?

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 09:40:47 am »
I'm thinking a bit about this too. Here's my idea is:

a simple swarm on a tree etc - free - I get free bees quick and easy, they get rid of them quick and easy - we're both happy.
A trapout or cutout - $50 to $200

From memory getting someone out to poison them costs around $200, so my aim is to do it for $200 or less.
I also point out that trapout/cutout are better as:
1. no toxic chemicals
2. no honey or pollen left inside the house to attract ants, cockroaches or more bees
3. don't kill the bees that we need

I started a trapout last weekend and asked for costs (fuel, silicon, plywood etc) and after I was still setting up for 2 hours or so she came out and gave me $100!  :-D
Happy with that one - and it's about 10km away, and on the way to one of my bee yards  8-)

ML

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 07:49:08 pm »
So Meadlover, how do you address the questions from my previous post? EG you cut through the wall and puncture a water pipe and it wets the plaster and carpet? You just pay for the damage, the person sues you, you get done for tax evasion?

Its a bit dramatic, but entirely possible.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 08:08:50 pm »
I would assess each one on a case by case basis - if it's too risky don't do it... i would be interested though in what people charge... i mean it would cost the householder money for a pest controller to come out anyway. One could always write up a service agreement which each party signs - a little formal but potentially worth the hassle

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 08:25:08 pm »
I would assess each one on a case by case basis - if it's too risky don't do it... i would be interested though in what people charge... i mean it would cost the householder money for a pest controller to come out anyway. One could always write up a service agreement which each party signs - a little formal but potentially worth the hassle

Playing devil's advocate here: that wont work you cant write an agreement that over rules any of the regular commercial law that any service provider or retailer has to abide by. This will apply to your liability as well...you cannot absolve yourself of liability, exchanging money for services establishes a contract that is enshrined in law.

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 09:21:39 pm »
If you're doing it a lot, and charging for it, maybe it's worth getting some insurance. Common sense goes a long way though.

Hitting electricity lines would be worse  :shock:

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 09:29:57 pm »
Playing devil's advocate here: that wont work you cant write an agreement that over rules any of the regular commercial law that any service provider or retailer has to abide by. This will apply to your liability as well...you cannot absolve yourself of liability, exchanging money for services establishes a contract that is enshrined in law.

True - but you can outline the terms of engagement - if it stipulates that the cost/obligation of repairs etc are to be borne by the owner and they sign and agree to that then that is solid. Commerial or retail law doesn't go in to that sort of detail to the best of my knowledge...

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 10:13:32 pm »
I am pretty sure it does. You would certainly want to know for sure. In todays world where every buggar is looking to sue, i would hate to be personally liable...

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 11:08:53 pm »
I have done removals and trapouts for 30 plus years for pay. If you are that paranoid about law suits and tax problems, I suggest you buy bees and leave removals to others.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 06:13:49 pm »
Law suits and tax problems?  I just tell them that my name if Iddee and I'm am from North Carolina.   :-D

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 06:45:11 pm »
Just be sure you do as good a job as Iddee does...  :-*   :-*   :-D   :-D
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 06:46:18 pm »
Yes sir.     ;)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 07:27:35 pm »
I got told by a friend whose a pest controller yesterday that they charge $150 to go out and deal with a swarm!

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 08:40:49 pm »
I got told by a friend whose a pest controller yesterday that they charge $150 to go out and deal with a swarm!

That's good to know. Gives us a basis to work from.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 10:04:36 pm »
that was my thought too! i didnt have a clue how much they charged or what to charge... i did a collection for an older lady last night! she and her husband were the nicest people! i didnt have the heart to charge but she slung me $50

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 10:38:49 pm »
I was told by someone who used to do alot of swarm captures that he used to tailor the price somewhat for the person he was doing the job for.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 11:01:16 pm »
Yeah i think that will be my approach as well... i'll have what i normally charge and then go down from there - i think it would also depend on difficulty as well!