Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New to Bee keeping in Central Oklahoma.  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Rock331

• New Bee
New to Bee keeping in Central Oklahoma.
« on: July 30, 2011, 02:20:18 am »
I am starting with a nuc hive for my first. Starting my new hobbie in over 100 degree weather.  So far over 42 days with triple digit temps. So far so good. My eleven year old daughter will not let me work the bees without her being with me. I hope after the first bee sting she still loves working bees.
Randy

Offline kbee

• New Bee
Re: New to Bee keeping in Central Oklahoma.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 08:43:51 am »
welcome Rock331 that's good that your daughter enjoys beekeeping with you. its good for kids to be involved, good leaning experience for them. happy beekeeping :bee:

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 12:11:28 pm »
Welcome to the forum.   :cheer:

For years I have rubbed the sting site immediately with fresh grass, it seams to help me.  :brian:  _Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline SerenaSYH

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 04:33:36 pm »
Wow, for the love of Bees, that is DEDICATION! Triple digit temps, what a brave soul you are. And wonderful to hear that you're passing down the legacy to your daughter!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 07:19:04 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 07:27:42 pm »
Welcome to the site!

Offline Bee Brothers Apiary

• New Bee
    • EveryThing Honey Bee, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 10:57:06 pm »
Howdy..mind if I ask where you got you nuc? what breed Queen?

All The Best!!

Offline Rock331

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 09:33:52 am »
The nuc came from a friend who had it. He got the bees earlier in the year from a cut out. The queen i believe was a carolina/ Italian, No sure thought she had an orange tail. Very tame. Update on the though is another hive from somewhere found and killed my hive and took all the honey. I did not noticed  what was going on and it was to later.

recently I got a hive from a water meter and they seam to be doing very well. this morning I checked them and they are very busy. Lots of pollen coming in. I changed up a few things for this hive. I have the entrance reduced to about 1.5 inches and 3/4. I have the hive where it is getting shade starting about noon. The temp here is still getting about 102 during the day. I will start moving them away from the shade when the temp starts getting cooler. I am also feeding from inside an empty deep on top to keep the other bees from finding the food source.

these bees also seam calm. I can open the top and change out the drink without getting them upset.

this forum has been a very big help and I am learning a lot posting my disasters.

Randy
Randy

anything